Maker Pro
Maker Pro

insulation resistance of ceramic capacitor

chitty gowda

Nov 3, 2016
I have faced one issue while working on ceramic capacitor. I'm using a battery operated(3V) system in which a 2.2uF capacitor is connected and in which system should draw less than 2uA but it was drawing more than 40uA current. I checked for insulation resistance of a capacitor it was around 2.5K Ohm which supposed to be in M Ohms.. i removed cap and checked its insulation resistance it was in Mohms and same cap i placed back in board it is working normally. Now it is not drawing 2uA current. how it is possible..???? how the insulation resistance of cap can change???

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It is probably not the capacitor showing this issue but the solderwork on the PCB. Bad soldering and/or dirt on the pCb can have this effect.
By de-soldering the component and reinserting it you may have inadvertently removed that problem.

chitty gowda

Nov 3, 2016
apart from solder related issue what else can cause/create this type of problem?

coz same issue i faced in different board in which cap was degraded and its off circuit insulation resistance was 3.3K Ohm

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Any type of capacitor can have an internal short circuit fault e.g. caused by mechanical stress or overvoltage.