Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Instructions needed for 3D light squared kit

Nomis212

Apr 27, 2016
Hi all new here, I'm looking for the instructions for a kit I brought from China. The pcb is ZF-32x32-GLF-VA1 to build a 512 led cube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 271

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If it is a kit, it surely must have come with some instructions, no?

Bob

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
A lot of the components on that board look to be a unique package size.
This may not sound like the best advise considering it's not really an answer, but I suggest you take an inventory of all the parts that were shipped to you with that kit and dry-fit as many *unique* pieces as you can. Do not solder anything yet.
The idea here is that if you can populate enough of the board with parts that fit in only one spot, then the left over parts that may have multiple spots to reside can be worked out. We don't have the schematic, but a partial picture and a list of the parts will help us figure out what part is the most likely candidate to go in which position on the board based on which pins may be in use, and which pins go to adjacent ICs... You will also need a multi-meter set to measure DC voltage and resistance to help trace where the pins from one part may connect to another part...

(If you look really closely, you may be able to see a slight raised line from one pin to another... It's masked, but the outlines and raised lines will indicate where the traces go)

Nomis212

Apr 27, 2016
A lot of the components on that board look to be a unique package size.
This may not sound like the best advise considering it's not really an answer, but I suggest you take an inventory of all the parts that were shipped to you with that kit and dry-fit as many *unique* pieces as you can. Do not solder anything yet.
The idea here is that if you can populate enough of the board with parts that fit in only one spot, then the left over parts that may have multiple spots to reside can be worked out. We don't have the schematic, but a partial picture and a list of the parts will help us figure out what part is the most likely candidate to go in which position on the board based on which pins may be in use, and which pins go to adjacent ICs... You will also need a multi-meter set to measure DC voltage and resistance to help trace where the pins from one part may connect to another part...

(If you look really closely, you may be able to see a slight raised line from one pin to another... It's masked, but the outlines and raised lines will indicate where the traces go)
Thanks for your reply, the problem is there are many places to fit the components and only a few components eg 10 shift registers but 16 possible locations, 4 voltage regulators and 8 locations. It looks possible to follow the circuit but as I'm fairly new to electronics this seems like an impossible task, i do have a multimeter so I'm able to test the pcb.
Parts LTH4953 x4. Voltage regulators
74HC595D x10 shift registers
30 x2 Ceramic capacitors
511 x8 Resistors
103 x2 resistors image.jpegimage.jpg

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for your reply, the problem is there are many places to fit the components and only a few components eg 10 shift registers but 16 possible locations, 4 voltage regulators and 8 locations. It looks possible to follow the circuit but as I'm fairly new to electronics this seems like an impossible task, i do have a multimeter so I'm able to test the pcb.
Parts LTH4953 x4. Voltage regulators
74HC595D x10 shift registers
30 x2 Ceramic capacitors
511 x8 Resistors
103 x2 resistors View attachment 26546View attachment 26547
Eww.. I was expecting a larger number of components. It sounds like most of the board will remain unpopulated.
How many LEDs? What is the dimension of the LED cube? 32 x 32?
The cube's LEDs will be driven one segment at a time... the shift registers will play a very important role, as they will either directly control some of the LEDs, or take care of enabling a section of LEDs for the other components to control. The segments are switched on and off so rapidly, that it looks like all of the LEDs remain on at the same time.
The more information we can get the better... perhaps we can start to reverse engineer how this thing is supposed to go together.

I can't help but notice you have soldered some components in the board already. I had encouraged dry fit because unless we are absolutely certain that the component belongs in that position, soldering it can create a large amount of work in correcting it.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
A typically poorly designed Chinese project. All my boards can be assembled without any instructions because all the items are clearly marked.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
A typically poorly designed Chinese project. All my boards can be assembled without any instructions because all the items are clearly marked.
Agreed... it would have been nice if the manufacturer had marked the components on the board instead of simple white outlines.
I'm curious and a little concerned if there are components missing... or if they simply make one universal board for multiple LED cube sizes. (Which would explain why there would be so many unpopulated locations on the board.

Nomis212

Apr 27, 2016
image.png image.png
Eww.. I was expecting a larger number of components. It sounds like most of the board will remain unpopulated.
How many LEDs? What is the dimension of the LED cube? 32 x 32?
The cube's LEDs will be driven one segment at a time... the shift registers will play a very important role, as they will either directly control some of the LEDs, or take care of enabling a section of LEDs for the other components to control. The segments are switched on and off so rapidly, that it looks like all of the LEDs remain on at the same time.
The more information we can get the better... perhaps we can start to reverse engineer how this thing is supposed to go together.

I can't help but notice you have soldered some components in the board already. I had encouraged dry fit because unless we are absolutely certain that the component belongs in that position, soldering it can create a large amount of work in correcting it.
Hi I had already soldered these components to the board prior to joining the forum as this was the only possible location and at the time I was waiting to receive the instructions I thought it would be safe to do so, the total number of LEDs is 512, 8x8.
I do have two of these kits both with identical parts from two different suppliers, before ordering the second kit I did check if it came with instructions and was told it did however the instructions they sent are for a totally different kit.

Dmitriy

May 10, 2016
Have the same kit and same issue...

Could you share the instruction/schematic if you've already got one?