Connect with us

Inside of Soldering Gun

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by abuhafss, Aug 5, 2010.

1. abuhafss

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
    Hi

Can anybody tell me how a soldering gun heats the tip? Does it have some heating elements or it uses some other technology? Can anybody get me a photo of the inside of the gun?

Thanks

2. florinanghel

florinanghel

Jun 14, 2010
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I haven't seen anything that uses other than resistive heating.

4. florinanghel

florinanghel

Jun 14, 2010
    I read some time ago that soldering guns use some kind of a transformer circuit. I think it was on Wikipedia.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the heating is still resistive.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yes, exactly ... the transformer is only stepping down the AC voltage, its still going to a resistive element in the iron tip
    some irons work directly off 240VAC (110VAC) others work on a lower voltage

Dave

7. abuhafss

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
    Thanks for your responses.

I understand that a soldering gun provides quick high temperature at the tip unlike the soldering iron which increases the temperature gradually. I am considering to use similar set-up with a timer to give a quick heat to a mold for a 10 - 15 seconds.

I have always used soldering iron for my jobs and have no experience of the gun. Can you give an idea, how quick the tip of the gun is cooled when the trigger is released?

8. florinanghel

florinanghel

Jun 14, 2010
    The tip is made out of copper, which is a very good conductor (for example, it conducts heat 10 times better than steel). It depends on the surface and temperature. The formula for heat dissipation of copper, I believe, is something like k = 400W/mK (400 Watts divided by meter Kelvin).

Quick Edit: It seems I wasn't quite right. Read this for more on thermal conductivity and heat loss.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. abuhafss

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
    How do you think, the thing would work if the mold is made in copper?

Ask a Question