Connect with us

inject silicon into TV focus?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Dan Jacobson, Jan 4, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Dan Jacobson

    Dan Jacobson Guest

    Should one inject silicon into the compartment that contains the two
    convex metal plates separated by an air space, in the white circular
    plastic component that fits on the tail end of the television tube?
    The goal being to prevent gradual loss of focus (causing needing a
    while to warm up the TV) in humid climates. If so, one must be picky
    about the type of silicon, the sour smelling type used for caulking
    windows being a disaster apparently?
  2. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    I'm not at all certain what you're talking about, assuming for the
    moment this isnt a troll. What "two convex metal plates" do you
    think affect the focus? Focusing a CRT beam is generally done
    by "lenses" which are in reality electric fields established and shaped
    by structures within the electron gun. (Very old CRTs, and some
    specialty tubes today, used external focus coils which did the same
    thing via magnetic fields, but those are extremely rare now.)

    If you're talking about leakage currents affecting the focus voltage
    supply (and thereby affecting the focus until the unit dries out and
    the leakage path goes away), then there may be situations in which
    the judicious application of RTV silicone (not "silicon") may help, but
    you need to know what you're doing here.

    Bob M.
  3. Fred Abse

    Fred Abse Guest

    Absolutely not - it's a spark gap, intended to protect circuitry from CRT
    internal flashover.

    Leave it strictly alone.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day