Connect with us

****ing speakers, how do they work

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Vilkuna, Nov 4, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Vilkuna

Vilkuna

Nov 4, 2011
    Hello, this is my first post here. And oh boy, do I have a lot of questions for you guys !

I think it's necessary to introduce you first to what I'm working on atm. I found an old Hitachi TRK-P6E C-Cassette player from local secondhand shop. It's fully functional, except the c-cassette recorder :( I decided to make an plug for my MP3 player/PC and enjoy the looks of this beauty :)

So I was wondering is there ANY way I could enhance the sound system ? Especially the speakers. There are 4ohm max 7watt speakers as stock (two of them of course). I thought it would be easy to find much much better speakers for my lil' system, but I'm awfully confused with all these wattage ratings.

To put it bluntly, is there any way to increase the amount of the sound coming out of this white box of mine ?

I'm looking forward to have an pleasant conversation about this manner :)
    P.S. Greetings from Finland !

2. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    What most people do is try and match speakers to the amplifier. If the amplifier is capable of 200W per channel @ 4 ohm and it has two channel output, then you would by two 4 ohm speakers capable of handling 200W of power.

If you try and drive a speaker over its power rating you can blow the speaker. If you under power a speaker it will sound like dick.

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I looked up the TRK-P6E and it is a radio/cassette player which can run on batteries. The output power will therefore be quite low.
    If you want more sound out, you will need more power.
    If you want a wider frequency range, you will need bigger speakers.
    If you want better stereo, you will want the speakers to be spaced wider.
    You should not power the speakers with an amp which can overdrive the speakers, they don't like that.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    As others have hinted, you would probably have to replace both the speakers and the amp. If you just want to use it for speakers for your MP3 player, I would take out the entire insides put in a new speakers and amp. It looks like the speakers are proabably around 5". You can get decent full-range speakers in this size, but they will cost more than you paid for the unit most likely. And you could get a 10W / Ch or so stereo amp as well. The other problem is that if you play it at high volume, the case is likely to start rattling.

Bob

Bob

5. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    The simplest method to give you better quality audio, simply replace the speakers with a better set, contrary to belief, the speakers do make a huge difference even if you keep the same low wattage amplifier, you'll get richer, slightly louder audio, i've seen huge noticeable differences in the past from simply changing nothing but the speakers for better ones.

So before you attempt to mess with the amplifier and start rewiring everything, just try different speakers and see if you're happy with it..

remember, you can blow the speakers with a higher rated amp, but you can't blow an amp using higher rated speakers.... so just try the speakers first, you might actually be satisfied with it...

Ask a Question