Maker Pro
Maker Pro

infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.

christian hargreave

Nov 18, 2014
Hey I'm 16 and have little knowledge about actually doing circuits but know stuff from a physics as level POV, I was thinking that I may be able to connect an infrared receiver to my light switch so that I could turn it on from my phone which has an emitter and receiver built in. First I'm asking if this is possible and second how would I do this

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Christian

welcome to Electronics Point :)

probably quite possible ... I assume you know the details of switching the IR on and off on the phone ?

IR detector units are available on the net and eBay

when you say light switch I assume you mean one in your room using 230-240VAC ?
if so, this is where the project gets dangerous and without experience it may be unsafe for your to attempt
I would hate to hear from your family that you have electrocuted yourself

if you proceeded you would need some one experiences with mains voltages to connect it all together for you

Dave

christian hargreave

Nov 18, 2014
If a switch the fuses off on the main fuse box surley it would be fine? Also which IR receiver would you reccomend? Would it have it to be one with a PCB or just the actual component?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
No, because if you make a mistake, it might catch fire in the middle of night and you, and possibly others, might burn to death.

Working with mains is not a project for beginners.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sorry Christian
but unless you could prove that you had adult supervision experienced with mains voltages
I have to close this thread to protect you and others from danger

please feel free to open new threads on much safer, low voltage projects :)

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.