Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Infrared xmitter range

dortmund

May 5, 2011
Pls I need help 2 increase d infrared xmitter receiver range 2 abt 10 meters.

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
Pls I need help 2 increase d infrared xmitter receiver range 2 abt 10 meters.

Do you mean "please" ?

Do you mean "to" ?

Do you mean "the" ?

Do you mean "to" ?

You need to tell us what transmitter and receiver you are using and how the tranmitter is driven. It is hard to give help withut knowing the details.

In general, range is increased by incresing transmitter power, though there are different ways to acheive this.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
and if possible type in real english ;)

Cheers :)
Dave

dortmund

May 5, 2011
infrared transmitter range

I want to know how I can increase the transmitted power for the infrared transmitter.

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
I want to know how I can increase the transmitted power for the infrared transmitter.
You need to tell us what transmitter and receiver you are using and how the transmitter is driven.

You can increase the current through the transmitter, as long as you do not exceed the maximum average current for the device.

Or you can transmit pulses from the transmitter, to get more peak power, but still keep average power low. Again, check the specification for your transmitter to be sure not to exceed the maximum instantaneous current.

Or you could focus the transmitted light to give a more directional beam.

Or modulating the light (typically with about 38KHz) will give better reception with the same transmitter power, since extraneous IR sources such as sunlight tend to get filtered out.

Or use multiple transmitters......

Last edited:

dortmund

May 5, 2011
Im using a TSOP17 receiver and the transmitter circuit is made of a 555 timer, 3 biasing resistors and 2 capacitors and the vcc is 9v. Im finding it difficult to copy and paste it on this thread.

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
You can get more current to the IR LED by adding a transistor driver stage.

Maybe something like the the circuit used here:

http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/infra-red-tx/

(just the part of the circuit with Q1, D2, R2, R3, R4)

This should increase the LED current from about 50mA to about 100mA