Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Infrared headphones idea help please

Ianb36

May 2, 2018
Hi all
Right
I’ve got some if headphones and a flip down monitor in my van which sends out ir signal
Am wondering if I could take the headphones apart and remove the speaker in the earpiece and connect a 3.5 jack plug instead
Then I could connect this to a speaker
The idea is to have it separate from my vans stereo system
Tia

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The signal fed to the tiny speaker in an earpiece is way too small to drive a speaker. It needs a power amplifier.

Ianb36

May 2, 2018
its A Bluetooth speaker already amplified in 5he sealed unit
Thought the jack plug would just transfer the sound
Am I barking up the wrong tree

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
its A Bluetooth speaker already amplified in 5he sealed unit
Thought the jack plug would just transfer the sound
Am I barking up the wrong tree
Yes, you're on the wrong tree. Either the system is IR or it RF, not both. Either way, it's faster, easier and cheaper to buy a pair of wired headphones than try to modify these receiver headphones. They aren't particularly high fidelity or special.

Ianb36

May 2, 2018
That’s just the point
On the tv there’s no other output only ir or fm
Back to the drawing board then

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As long as you're still in the 'idea' phase of this project, I'm wondering if you're saying the configuration of your sound system is that both the stereo and the monitor use the same infra-red transmission system?
Or if you're saying the monitor uses IR headphones, and you want to send the monitor audio to your stereo speakers instead of just the headphones, as the stereo speaker system is hard-wired to the vehicle speakers and you want to hear the monitor audio through the vehicle speakers?. Or what specifically it is you're trying to modify.
I'm probably just dense, but while considering your project, I find myself a little confused about what your have, and what exactly it is that you're trying to modify.
My experience is that with most sound systems, an issue someone experiences is not unique, other people have seen the same issue, and there's probably a remedy available. Someone here can probably help if you can explain
your issue in more detail.
Maybe make and models of what you have?

Ianb36

May 2, 2018
Ok
So I’ve got a full stereo set up in the van
Am not wanting to connect to or use this
So that aside
I’ve installed a flip down monitor (xtrons on eBay )
It only has infrared and fm signal,output for sound
So can either be used with ir headphones or send to a frequency on my stereo which I don’t want to do
The idea is that while I’m driving I can listen to the stereo and the kids can watch tv but don’t like headphones
So I’ve put a Bluetooth speaker in the back which has an aux input
I’ve tried a pocket radio with the aux cable from headphone jack to aux in on the speaker
Gets the sound but lots of hissing not good
Hope this all makes sense so far
My idea was wanting an infrared reciever connected to a jack plug so could connect to the speaker
That would be my ideal situation

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Any half-decent product that transmits an FM audio signal and any half-decent FM radio together produce no hissing noises. But cheap Chinese junk from ebay is not half-decent, instead it is hissing garbage.

Expensive and high quality IR audio receivers with headphones output are used at huge conferences for language translation.

Ianb36

May 2, 2018
Ok thanks for that
So is there a ir reciever that would work with the frequency that the tv gives out
There are two settings
A. 2.3 - 2.8. MHz
B. 3.2 - 3.8. MHz
Obviously would need a 3.5mm socket for jack plug

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I do not know the radio frequencies used by language translation IR receivers. There are many languages so there are probably many radio frequencies.