Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Information on resistors

GarnR1

Jun 30, 2016
Hi there,

I'm doing a bit of study for an upcoming exam and I was wondering if someone could help me with a bit of information on resistors. The syllabus, in regards to resistors, asks me to understand the effect on the output voltage when the load is varied.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.

The syllabus, in regards to resistors, asks me to understand the effect on the output voltage when the load is varied.
You need to be more specific, e.g. show us a schematic diagram of the circuit.
For a simple circuit involving resistors and a voltage source (battery), most everything can be valculated using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. You should be familiar with them.

GarnR1

Jun 30, 2016
Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately that's all the information it has. It has a heading "Resistors" followed below by "State the effect on the output voltage when the load is varied"

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You will have to assume a specific circuit configuration. A simple and practical circuit consists of an ideal voltage source followed by a series resistor to simulate the non-ideal behavior of a real voltage source (e.g. battery). This is your non-ideal voltage source. Now attach a load (another resistor) to this source.
  • show us what the circuit looks like
  • how is the load voltage (voltage across load resistor) related to the voltage of the ideal voltage source and the resistances (both series resistance of the source plus resistance of the load)?
A this post is in preparation for an exam, I will move it to the homework forum for continuation of the discussion. Note that it is our policy not to give straigt answers to questions of this type but rather to guide you in finding the solution by yourself.