Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Infinite heat switch or rheostat?

jga154

Aug 9, 2011
I am building a burner for a ceramic smoker using a 1100w burner. My problem is the manufacturer switch will not let the burner stay on enough to keep the wood smoking. I believe this is because it is an infinite heat switch that turns off and on and when inside the smoker it is hot enough that it just heats up and will not stay on hot enough to create smoke.

I removed the switch from inside and hooked up a space heater switch in an electrical box to control it. I'm not sure it is working any better though.

Am I wrong using an infinite heat switch? Would a rheostat (if I could find one) work?

Attachments

• DSC_8785.jpg
    DSC_8785.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_8784.jpg
    DSC_8784.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 172

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Personally, I have no idea what an "infinite heat switch" is -- you'll need to explain. You should also give a schematic of what it is you've built.

jga154

Aug 9, 2011
Personally, I have no idea what an "infinite heat switch" is -- you'll need to explain. You should also give a schematic of what it is you've built.

It is the controller for electric stove burners, electric heaters, hot plates, etc. I think I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Do you mean "infinitely-adjustable".

Often, controllers are bimetallic switches that are adjusted by the knob, which controls a screw adjustment. If the device is electronic, then the control is likely a pot.

Again, pictures/schematics will help us give you better opinions.

jga154

Aug 9, 2011
The switch from the electric heater seems to be working. Will return if I have more questions. Have to be pictures though, I don't know schematics. Thanks :)