Connect with us

Inductor or Capacitor? Need help!!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jrd78ep, Mar 21, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello i am new on this forum....i am troubleshooting an intrument...i found a mosfet with inductor (label L3) connects at drain and source...when i check the inductor it is fuse-open (read in Mohms). Wondering if it is really an inductor or not...because it is not normal to me to see inductor at drain & source...

Any idea guys? thanks for the help. (PLEASE SEE ATTACHED FILE FOR THE PHOTO).

Attached Files:

2. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    Could be an SMD varistor to protect the MOSFET from voltage peaks.

3. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013

So you mean varistor also can be labeled "L3" ? thanks for the reply.

4. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    No, that would be very strange, but placing an inductor over Drain-Source of a MOSFET would be even stranger!

It could happen in some rare oscillator circuits or the MOSFET could be used as a variable resistor to change the Q-factor of the inductor.

Anyway, the component sure looks like an smd inductor.

5. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Now i'm getting confuse :-(
    Please help get a conclusion...since i measured it fuse-open and looks like smd inductor...do i need to replace it?

Just to add up..this mosfet source pin is connected to ground. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    Well. some things in life are not so obvious, especially if we don't have a handbook...
    Maybe you have to analyze the circuit a bit more. What kind of instrument is it? What is the name of the MOSFET (cannot read it)? Where does the drain connect to? Can you get a circuit diagram from the manufacturer?

7. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Yes you're right...so i drawn the schematic to give better insight...please see attached file....hoping u can share now exact idea....thanks alot.

Attached Files:

8. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    Seeing that schematic, it's most probably a protection component. The varistor alternative definitely got support.
    What is the name of the MOSFET?

9. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    The mosfet is L540NS....thanks

10. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Any update from you today Electrobrains??? I had sent u already the mosfet number....thanks

11. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    Probably it's an IRL540NS, a rough power MOSFET.
    What is the problem? What doesn't work in your "instrument"?
    Does the output not switch?

Ask a Question