Connect with us

inductor designing

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by firoz, Nov 15, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. firoz

firoz

Nov 6, 2010
    Hello friends
    I am designing a basic transmitting and receiving circuit.I am begineer of designing i was confused to designing coil.I tried to get in internet but i didn't understand.

[​IMG]

what is the guage of wire?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Fairly obviously the wire diameter can't be greater than l/N if there is a single layer of wire.

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    The inductance won't vary appreciably with wire gage. The only unit defined in that formula btw. is L [uH], the other units are not. Look for another better formula site.

4. firoz

firoz

Nov 6, 2010
    Are you sure that inductance of inductor is not depend on the guage of wire.

5. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Why do you need to know, and why aren't you able to figure that out yourself from all the formulas & calculators available on the net?
    Increasing the wire diamer will (of course) increase the inductance if the formula uses the inner diameter of the coil. It's the wire's center that actually counts.
    Increasing the wire diameter will increase inter-winding capacitance and will thus lower the self-resonant frecuency.
    Increasing the wire diameter will increase the Q-value of the inducor.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    For some people LMGTFY is not sufficient and you may be tempted to use JFGI.

(just say'n)

7. ans

ans

Nov 25, 2010
    Wire gauge refers to the diameter of a wire. The higher the gauge number, the thinner the wire.

8. bob_rich

bob_rich

Nov 10, 2010
    The equation is a form of Wheelers Equation and is generally accurate to around 3% provided length (l) is no shorter than a/2. The units are uH ( micro henries) for inductance and inches for dimensions. At hIgh frequencies , and assuming copper or silver plated copper wire is used the current will tend to flow on the inside of the wire and so a will tend towards the former diameter.

Final tweaking of the inductor can be done by squeezing or stretching the coil a bit to get the inductance U require

best of luck with the project

Bob

Ask a Question