Connect with us

Inductive sensor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Arte, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Arte

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
    I have a circuit using a 16ga wire, with a 10 amp load.
    I want to attach a non invasive sensor to the wire that will detect current flow (like my inductive amp clamp on my Fluke)and send a signal to trip a relay to activate a higher amperage load.
    Does this device actually exist ?
    I have been searching the Digikey site but no luck.

2. Electric-T

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
    Just wiring a relay in wont do it? As soon as the required voltage hits the relay coil it would let the load pass. Do you mean any current? Or a specific threshold?

Arte likes this.
  3. Arte

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
    I have a vehicle that I cant tap into the harness for a relay trigger to run an extra set of HID driving light off my high beam circuit.

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    An auto electrician should be able to point you in the right direction for your particular make model ( whatever it is as not shown here). Also they will most likely be able to advise whether legal or not to do the modification in your particular country/ region whatever that also may be. Wiring of some negative return systems can make adding extra loads from the high beam a little difficult to say the least for the inexperienced.

5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    DC or AC?

6. Arte

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
    12V VOLT DC

7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Only hall effect is useful in this case. Even then, unless you can make a coil of wire to sense from then a non contact solution isn't easy. What's the problem with using a sense resistor?

Arte likes this.
  8. Arte

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
    2011 BMW/CANADA and it is legal here.
    I just thought someone may have an idea of a pick up I may use.

9. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    No reason why you can't tap into the harness. A resistor could sense the voltage and draw effectively zero current doing so - certainly so little that it won't affect other sensing circuitry. The transistor can then operate a relay.

10. Arte

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
    That's what the was going to do initially but was hoping there was a way to not go into the harness. Thanks

11. Electric-T

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
    My brother did this. He just wired the lights from the battery through a switch. Battery to switch to lights. No relay needed

12. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    As I said, the negative return switching will cause headaches unless you know what you are doing. The lights in the majority of these vehicles are constant line feed so even tapping can cause feedback. Without relays you will cook wiring and existing switching which were never designed for the additional loading. In some instances this extra loading can reach in excess of 16 amp. Not to mention voltage drop problems.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    There are the ACS712 modules on ebay for a $1.00 select 5a, 20a, or 30a version.
    If you want completely non-invasive types there is the Honeywell CDSA series that sense current level or just the presence of.
    M.

Electric-T likes this.
Ask a Question