Connect with us

Induction cooktop

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Prudence90, May 15, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ohm My.

Ohm My.

Sep 13, 2020
    Hi All,
    I can't believe my eyes when I found this thread.
    I also have a VZUG hob Model GK36TIPSF with exactly the same problem - doesn't power on. Up till now it has been an outstanding unit.
    I removed it to investigate and same IC202 blown it's top off, and resistor R214 looks sunburnt.
    BUT! I found the top of the IC. It reads "Infeneon" ICE3A1065. G1041L0P. K002018X01.
    AND I found the cockroach or a friend of his.
    I have ordered 10 of these chips
    https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/pwm-current-mode-controllers/1107480/
    Data sheet
    https://docs.rs-online.com/ccca/0900766b814d6c8b.pdf

Prudence90 I'm happy to share some spares with you.

Would people think this was a good path to go down? Anyone able to help me identify the resistor R214?
    Thanks a truckload!

Attached Files:

2. Ohm My.

Ohm My.

Sep 13, 2020
    Additional images.
    I opened it up expecting to find a replaceable fuse, but the two fuse holders were empty.
    Found the suspected offender. Cockroaches haven't been commonly seen at our place, but the little buggers had been here.

Attached Files:

3. Prudence90

Prudence90

May 15, 2020
    Thanks at last! I was beginning to think the problem was unsolvable.
    I would be happy to accept a couple of ic’s but I live in Australia - where are you from?
    Regarding R214 - I was able to measure one half of it (from one end to the centre) using a multimeter. It measured about 33k so I am fairly certain that the actual value is 68k.

This has made my day!

4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir Ohm My . . . . . .et . . . .Prudence90 . . . .

O.K. . . . . . .lets now see how your circuit board equates to the EYE SEE manufacturers provided " equivalent " schematic that's being plotted at its left.
    GREEEEAAAAAAT photos BTW . . .lets me see that the no longer mystery R214 was initially being a 120 ohm 10%'er unit, but I can't trace out where its right leads side goes. One or both of you pull out your low ohms scaled meter and see if its LEFT lead doesn't go on past that N.o C.onnection pin 6 and then really makes a foil trace turn upwards and connects into pin 1 ?.
    Then, also see where its RIGHT lead ends up ?
    Also see where that pin 1's top corner silver via leads you to, on the other side of the board.

Usually on these devices they totally omit the pin # 6 and use pin 5 exclusively for the internal power FET's DRAIN connection and thereby leave a wide spacing to pin 5 and and any potential arcover via any time related and surface deteris accumulated upon that immediate area .... . . . (THAT'S not including la cucarachas scheiss*** nor their cadavers nor even crystalized meese peese or their " pellets " .)
    ( *** Query Herr Harald . . . . . if you need any help on that translation . )
    I suspicion the component located in the foreground below R214 to be a tubular ceramic 47 Pf / 1Kv . . . .but I can't see its right sides routing path.
    Also see if the equivalent " R5-R5A " low ohms source resistors from pin 3 to HOT ground might have also ended up blown open if the FET is dead shorted S to D .

ASIDE . . . . . . yours is being THE way that these IC's should blow their tops off . . . .isn't that right . . .Prudence ?

Waiting to see WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP ?

SCHEMATIC MUSINGS . . . . . . . . .

[​IMG]

Direct link . . .as long as it remains being hosted at BB ?
    https://i.ibb.co/dBgnyYN/INDUCTION-COOKER-MINOR-POWER-SUPPLY.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Mathematically speaking . . . . . it has been found that five out of four people, definitely have trouble, in their fully grasping and understanding fractions.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Ohm My. and Harald Kapp like this.
  5. Prudence90

Prudence90

May 15, 2020
    No, I am not convinced now that R214 is 68k as it is much higher in value than other resistors that the sample schematics show. Maybe more research...

The IC offered by RS? Is it the correct version?

Could someone contact V-Zug in Melbourne? I had no results - just no reply.

Don’t forget that the cost of a new PCB is about $500 so great care needs to be taken when replacing parts. How many layers does the PCB have?

6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
  7. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    FILL IN . . . . .

No, I am not convinced now that R214 is 68k as it is much higher in value than other resistors that the sample schematics show. Maybe more research...

Instead of just suppositions,one of youse twose guys, wit de moichandise in yer hands, needs to be ohmming out the path from the left lead of that R121.

That will confirm if its connective foil path is going to IC pin 1, or more likely straight across to pin 3 which would then have/provide an adequate voltage level and power flow potential *** to fry a 1.21 ? ohm resistor as you are now seeing .
    However . . . . I DAMN sure can't see any 1% perceived tolerance necessity.
    (*** Considering a dead shorted D-S of the I.C.s internal FET. )

Then, the other piece of the puzzle is to see if the RIGHT side lead of R214 is routed to HOT ground buss.
    This then equates with the schematics use of R5 A and B source resistors to ground.( Ergo . . .your units R214.)

This may be a photo effect, but the area around pin 5 seems blackened, and even more so above it . . . . any chance of burning / a carbon path in that area .

Board layers . . 2 . . . just front and back foils . . . . .this is no complex piece of equipment.

73's de Edd . . . . .

8. Ohm My.

Ohm My.

Sep 13, 2020
    WOW 73's de Edd, thanks for your amazing insight on this!

O.K. . . . . . . R214
    * No continuity between left and right.
    * RIGHT leads side has continuity to a number of different destinations on the rear of the board: (see photo attached)
    - top leg of "tubular ceramic" on the right of R214
    - upper leg of C206
    - the green 22uF 350V caps on the right
    - left leg of C212 (Blue cap - I can't distinguish details but photo attached

LEFT lead goes to IC202
    - Pin 6 (and the solder dot to it's right)
    - Pin 3 (and the solder dot to it's left)
    BUT NOT to pin 1
    The only thing I can find PIN 1 to continue is to the small component which you labelled on the photo "C8 100pF" (above IC202) (Directly where it is printed "IC202").

I suspicion the component located in the foreground below R214 to be a tubular ceramic 47 Pf / 1Kv . . . .but I can't see its right sides routing path.
    I have no idea about this except that it looks identical to the component between R214 and the Green Cap C204.
    The only continuity between ANY of these parts is from "R214 RIGHT leg" to top of tubular ceramic on it's right (as mentioned above).

THIS PART I DON'T FOLLOW:
    Also see if the equivalent " R5-R5A " low ohms source resistors from pin 3 to HOT ground might have also ended up blown open if the FET is dead shorted S to D .

I like your sense of humour by the way.
    Your fraction joke reminded me of the one "There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't":)

Attached Files:

9. Ohm My.

Ohm My.

Sep 13, 2020
    Thanks Blue Jets

Yes I agree It is a 5 band metal filament, going
    Brown Red Brown Silver .. Brown, which equates to 1.21ohm with 1%.
    UNLESS it is an exception, as per this site: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/resistor-color-code-calculator/
    the fourth band is for tolerance and the fifth band is for the temperature coefficient (ppm/K).

Any further thoughts welcome!

10. Ohm My.

Ohm My.

Sep 13, 2020
    Pins 3 and 6 have continuity
    Pins 4 and 5 have continuity
    No other pin to pin continuity
    Pin 1 continuity with Right leg of small component above (as mentioned above) but nothing else

That will confirm if its connective foil path is going to IC pin 1, or more likely straight across to pin 3 which would then have/provide an adequate voltage level and power flow potential *** to fry a 1.21 ? ohm resistor

Then, the other piece of the puzzle is to see if the RIGHT side lead of R214 is routed to HOT ground buss.
    Where is please the Hot ground bus pick point?
    This then equates with the schematics use of R5 A and B source resistors to ground.( Ergo . . .your units R214.)

This may be a photo effect, but the area around pin 5 seems blackened, and even more so above it . . . . any chance of burning / a carbon path in that area .
    I saw that too.. No connection between Pin 5 and 6 at this point (new IC202 in place)

11. Prudence90

Prudence90

May 15, 2020
    I just want to add something which may need looking at, separate to the above.

Our cooktop broke down a couple of times before the major blow up. The reason was fairly obvious when dismantled - the large IC on the control panel was soaked with liquid, no doubt due to cockroaches - I guess that roaches need to pee to avoid discomfort. Each time spraying with circuit board cleaner fixed the problem.

It seems that roaches like to keep warm - both IC's in question would be permanently powered up because one is controlling the back-up supply and the other needs power otherwise the appliance wouldn't switch on when required.

12. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
  13. Ohm My.

Ohm My.

Sep 13, 2020
    Thanks Blue Jets, what do you make of this paragraph on that site?
    (It seems to me that this is a 5-band resister with 4th band zero)

Color Code Exceptions
    5 Band Resistor with a 4th Band of Gold or Silver
    Five band resistors with a fourth band of silver or gold form an exception, and are utilized on specific or older resistors. The first two bands represent the significant digits, the third band is a multiplication factor, the fourth band is for tolerance and the fifth band is for the temperature coefficient (ppm/K).

But I am no authority on this, just trying to get it right!

14. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    . . . . .more to come . . . .

Ask a Question