Connect with us

Increasing Frequency With Time

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by Jimbob96, Nov 27, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jimbob96

Jimbob96

Nov 27, 2014
    Im currently studying my A level in electronics and for part of my course i have to produce a circuit that i design, build and then test. my project idea that i have thought of doing is for a traffic light system. there is one part of my project that i cannot figure out how to do. I have a countdown timer, counting from 30 to 0 and i want to have a LED flashing that gradually increases its frequency as the timer is counting down.

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Are you familiar with a VCO?
    That should get you started ;)

3. Jimbob96

Jimbob96

Nov 27, 2014
    when you say VCO do you mean voltage Controlled oscillator?

Gryd3 likes this.
  4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I sure do. You can build one or buy one.
    Now it's up to you do control it in a manner that will satisfy your requirements.
    Need more help just ask. I won't give a complete answer but I'll help as best I can to lead you to your own answer.
    (Sometimes, pointing out an IC or example circuit is all it takes to make the idea click)

5. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    Have you considered a design with two down counters? Use a pre-settable down counter to divide a clock that flashes the light. Load the MSB bits from the main countdown timer into the down counter which then should flash the light faster as the MSB bits fall to a lower binary value.

6. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi Jimbob and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It could be helpful if you posted a schematic of what you have so far - i.e. the down-counter.

Ask a Question