Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Incandescent Dimmer Locator LED

scscomp

Apr 23, 2012
I had to modify an incandescent dimmer to allow me to use it to dim a 0-10 VDC Meanwell 60W LED driver. I successfully isolated the pot to run my 9 VDC power wire from a wall wart to the dimmer and back to the 0-10 VDC control input of the LED driver. I also successfully disabled the triac and jumpered the 120 VAC hot to the switch to get a standard on/off 120v source to the mains input of the LED driver. The problem I'm having is, the LED locator light on the dimmer now glows very dimly. It glows just enough to see it if you take the cover off the dimmer but, not nearly enough to see it glowing through the plastic cover. Does the LED locator need the triac to function correctly? I don't know if this is related but, when the dimmer switch is off, along with the locator LED glowing dimly, I'm getting around a 60 VAC reading coming off the swtich.

I can't find any specs for the LED locator nor, anything on how the LED locator is powered. I also can't find a schematic of an incandescent dimmer with a locator light.