Connect with us

Improved Search Feature

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions & Feedback' started by Ian, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I've had a few requests and suggestions over the years to improve the search function on ElectronicsPoint, as it hasn't been particularly fast or helpful when common search terms are used.

The search has been upgraded to run on a new system, which should allow for greatly improved search results. I'll test to see if it's possible to also allow for much more advanced search operators too.

I thought it was worth posting about, in case anyone had given up using the built-in search engine on here in the past ;).

2. Nisar-von-Voltenbräackter

Nisar-von-Voltenbräackter

May 23, 2018
    An effective search tends to be one of the top assets of any tech site. :rolleyes:

3. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I'm not quite sure how to interpret that...

We had a decent search engine before, but it struggled when trying to search for very short words (i.e. 3 characters). This is an inherent problem with most site-based search engines and there isn't much that can be done, without using a secondary database dedicated to search results (which we now have).

As new addons and software are released for the forum and server, I upgrade as they become available (where appropriate).

davenn likes this.
  4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Unfortunately many acronyms in electronics are just 3 letter words (LED, LCD, FET, BJT to name only a few). :rolleyes:
    The upgraded search engine seems to deal well with these :)

KJ6EAD and Ian like this.
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yes. TLA's were the bane of my searching.

I've also made mention to Nisar about how people might interpret his use of smileys.

Ask a Question