Connect with us

Impedance Increaser

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by veenife, Jan 20, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. veenife

veenife

Jan 20, 2014
    Hey, im a total noob... and i dont really understand much of electronics... ive just got a basic idea of the things.....

im doing a project at school which i want to build an input impedance increaser for a microphone....

can any one help me with that??

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. veenife

veenife

Jan 20, 2014
    ... i want to increase the impedance of an already made mic preamp...
    ... a device which i can plug in between mic and preamp that will increase the microphone input impedance...

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    That would be called a preamp. A FET preamp should do the trick.

Bob

5. veenife

veenife

Jan 20, 2014
    yeah damn... tha makes alot of sense... hhuahua... can i find anywhere online how to build a simple preamp with very high input impedance.... i mean super high input impedance!!!

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Look up FET preamp.

What are you expecting to happen when you have "super high impedance?" It should not be needed for a microphone.

Bob

7. veenife

veenife

Jan 20, 2014
    its just about a ribbon microphone with high output impedance... if i would use it in a normal preamp the frequency response of this mic wont work as it should, but making the input impedance higher i can get it to work properly...

8. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Okay. You could also use an opamp voltage follower to get input impedance of 10s of Megohms.

Bob

9. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Are you sure it's a ribbon microphone? Ribbon microphones normally have a fairly low output impedance (a few hundred ohms) and a low signal level. Often, a transformer is used to increase the signal level; this also increases the impedance, so it has to be used with a preamp with medium or high input impedance.

Low-impedance microphones can also be connected directly to preamps with relatively low input impedance, such as common-base circuits.

What's the brand and model number of the microphone?

Ask a Question