Connect with us

Imac 27 Repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Svoy, Jan 24, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Svoy

Svoy

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi guys,
    Could you please help me to find out this one:
    http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/Svoy/IMG_0208_zps97ddd7f0.jpg
    It is from Imac 27 (mid 2011) power supply, it blows the fuse every time when I plug in, so on closed inspection I found out that these capacitors have cracks...
    I would really appreciate for the help
    Thank you in advance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I would check that you don't have shorted rectifier diodes (presumably there's one just near that capacitor) or more likely the main switching mosfet.

The capacitor *may* be damaged, but is unlikely to be the cause for repeated fuse blowing.

3. Svoy

Svoy

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi,
    Thank you for reply....
    So, I am going to test all the diods, but what about "the main switching mosfet"? Could you please tell me which one?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Find out what the part number are on the devices on heatsinks 3 and 4

5. Svoy

Svoy

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi *steve* I really appreciate for your help....I found out the number on the devices on heatsink 4 its K10A60D and heatsink 3 K20A60U

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, a K10A60D is a 600V 10A mosfet. I would check the datasheed for that, and measure the resistance across the drain and source (both ways).

And the K20A60D is a 600V 20A device. Check the same for this.

Note that you need to ensure that the capacitors on the board are not holding a charge or you could (a) damage your meter, or (b) give yourself a very uncomfortable shock.

Having two different devices like this seems to suggest that there are actually 2 independent power supplies on this board. Perhaps there is a standby as well as a main power supply, or perhaps the different voltages are on independent supplies?

7. Svoy

Svoy

Jan 24, 2013
    Than you *steve* for your help....but after all I decided do not mess around with Power Supply for machine $2000 ....I just bought the new one....
    Thank you anyway

Ask a Question