Connect with us

Illumination Needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Fog City Cobra, Jul 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Fog City Cobra

Fog City Cobra

Jul 1, 2013
    I scored a few illuminated rocker switches to use on projects. Here's what they look like:

http://www.rongfeng.com.tw/pdf/RF-1001.pdf

The neon lamp must need protection from an overload—else why would they provide a third terminal? So the question is—what is the recommended resistance between the #3 terminal and the power circuit when using the RF-1001 SPST neon illuminated rocker switch to control 120VAC fused at 5A ?

I emailed an inquiry to Rong Feng and a nano-second later received a full-page reply written in Chinese. I do not speak chinese but I can smell a rebuff in any language from sixty yards away. Some help would surely be appreciated.

Fog City Cobra

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You will not need additional circuitry. Look at this datasheet. It is for another switch, but these switches are very much the same. On top of page 2 see the circuit for "Code B".
    Connect 1A to the 120V source.
    Connect 1 to the load.
    Connect 1b to neutral.

This way the lamp will be on when the switch is energized. The neon lamp is usually rated for the rated voltage of the switch, so no resistor is required.

3. Fog City Cobra

Fog City Cobra

Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks, Harald, for the prompt and definitive reply regarding my small dilemma. Being now confident that I would not overload the lamp, I was free to try different connection possibilities. You will be less than surprised to hear that the scheme you instructed was the only one that worked properly (although I did find one intriguing hookup that resulted in the lamp being on when the switch was off and vice versa.)

FCC

Ask a Question