Connect with us

Illuminated DPDT Switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Krisso69, Apr 6, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Krisso69

Krisso69

Apr 6, 2018
    Hi All,

Im wiring up a camper trailer and trying to install two switches to control one light. After research, I learnt I will need two SPDT switches. I couldn't find the right style SPDT switch, however, I managed to get my hands on the correct style DPDT switch. My thinking is I will only need to use one pole for it to work the same as a SPDT switch.
    I managed to wire the circuit correctly in order to control the light from both switches, however, I can not figure out how to get the switches to illuminate or if its even possible in this configuration. I have attached a schematic of how it is currently wired and a link to the switches Im using.
    Im hoping someone can kindly point me in the right direction to get these switches illuminated.

Thanks so much.

Kris.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/round-ip65-rated-rocker-switch-dpdt-250vac-10a/p/SK0967
    dpdt_illuminated_diagram.jpg

hevans1944 likes this.
  2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Connect the battery negative(s) to the spare 'middle' contact on both switches.

hevans1944 likes this.
  3. Krisso69

Krisso69

Apr 6, 2018
    Sorry, I should’ve mentioned I already tried connecting negative from battery to both spare middle pins on other side. That didn’t work

4. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Part number for switch, link to datasheet, photos ,,,,,,,anything?

5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    That should have worked.

Polarity is important for LED illumination:

upload_2018-4-6_12-47-3.png

However, if you connected battery negative to the 2b terminal on both switches, it is possible the 12 V battery doesn't provide enough voltage to "light up" the LED. The switch contacts are rated from 14 V DC up to 250 VDC. Given the possibility that the switch would be used at 250 V DC, perhaps the built-in LED current-limiting resistor is a wee bit too large in value.

@AnalogKid: the Jaycar Electronics website the OP linked to in post #1 has a link to a one page PDF datasheet for the switch. I have included that PDF with this post.

Attached Files:

davenn likes this.
  6. Krisso69

Krisso69

Apr 6, 2018
    Hmmm I think I’ll put it down to the resistor. Not to worry, I can do without the switch LED. Thanks for your help!!

Ask a Question