Connect with us

Illogical Transistors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Raven Luni, Jun 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

I seem to have come across a pitfall when using PNP and NPN transistors fro switching. Base emmitter voltage drops pulling things the wrong way etc. I wont post any diagrams as theres an example in my pic programmer project thread.

But I would like to see what the more experienced here have to say. Should we only use the same type as a rule or are there cases when using both is preferable?

2. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Ok now I'm annoyed. WHY, when turning on an NPN transistor (5V at base through 1K resistor), does a voltage appear at the COLLECTOR, when its NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING??

This was supposed to be a simple matter of logic - I mean WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Right - I think I get it - emitter was grounded via a 10k so really what you see through the collector is a potential divider?

This stuff would put tits on a snake it really would!

4. DuctDuck

DuctDuck

Jan 26, 2013
    I can help; I am very familiar with bjt type transistors...especially for those instances using a constant, known supply voltage.

Try using a voltage divider as it pulls down the base terminal (single Vsupply, right?). When your Vsignal is active (i.e.- +5V applied) a base voltage is present (e.g.- Vb>(Vbe+Ve)) and when no Vsignal is present the base terminal rests at ground.

Provided the base's Vdivider-input-branch isn't loaded by reflected Re branch, all should be OK. This removes the "current amplifier" nature of the bjt (well not really, but its a get around:)).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks. I gave that a try and there is some improvement but not enough - cant get any lower than around 1V at the collector and thats still potentially enough to turn on a device. I just need to redesign the thing (again)

6. DuctDuck

DuctDuck

Jan 26, 2013
    There is something amongst transistor switches known as high-side and low-side loading.

I'm not sure if you want another transistor circuit suggestion...so, yeah, modify what you currently have (e.g.-double up bjts so Q2 is in cutoff or saturation by Q1, etc).

7. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Sounds like it describes the nature of the problem. Its fixed now - changed to a PNP (so essentially loading the other side) which also meant having to invert the input with another transistor.

8. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    or the transistor might be fryed

9. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Because the base to the collector is a diode, as is the base to the emitter. The base is the anode of each in a NPN transistor. In fact that is where the NPN comes from!

Bob

10. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Aha. That makes more sense :p

Ask a Question