Connect with us

Ignition igniter?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Michael, Apr 18, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    So on the side of my John Deere garden tractor there is this little
    encapsulated (55.00!) part about a 1 1/2" square
    that has a connector that sees 12v and the ignition coil and ground through
    it's case. (not in series or anything...just taps those 2 connections).

    What the heck are these things? An igniter? or also called, "trigger coil?.

    I'm wondering if I can grab some sort of standard part that may work or if
    someone could tell what's going on inside these things, I'll head to my

    It's a new one on me.

    It's mounted on the side of the Kawasaki engine block.


    (I got it to crank but no spark...this first...coil next).
  2. Jim Yanik

    Jim Yanik Guest

    Honda/Acura uses an "igniter" module instead of mechanical "points" to
    switch current to the ignition coil,from a signal from the PGM-FI
    computer(ECU).From what I gathered from IC data,it monitors coil current to
    maximize "dwell time" to get the most output from the coil.

    your module may also have an integral crank sensor to tell it when to
    switch. has pix and a circuit of the Honda igniter.

    BTW,the Honda igniter is one of the frequent problem areas for the ignition
  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I'm really puzzled by it....wish I could have had some more response.

    What I don't get is it isn't in series or in a path before the ignition connects between the coil 12v and ground and that's it, no more
    than 2 connections.

    So the only way it effects anything is by influencing the path to ground. ?

    Alters the impedance? hence the current?

    Does anyone know a test I can run on the part? (DC resistance is about 1k,
    one direction and 500k the other).
  4. Jim Yanik

    Jim Yanik Guest

    The case could be the third connection.Maybe it grounds the coil through
    the case of the device,and has a +12 supply.
  5. Dave Lag

    Dave Lag Guest

    Suspect it is a potted "SCR like" cct , triggers when voltage/current
    reaches some threshold (guessing).
    I replaced the points on my lawnmower with a similar aftermarket blob, much
  6. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Can't you take it off, take it to the local John Deere shop, and ask them?
    They'll want your model and year and all that info, of course. They might
    even have an electrical diagram in their shop.

    Good Luck!

  7. Which is it? Your original post read as if there were three connections,
    coil, 12V, and ground.

    Is it mounted anywhere near the flywheel? If so, it could be part of a
    magneto system. If it has a seperate 12V input, it is an interruptor (of
    some kind), which senses the flywheel position (magnetically) and breaks
    the coil primary to trigger the spark.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day