Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identifying an blown IC from Spectre 13-4114na motherboard

mjosbourn

Nov 28, 2019
Hi everyone, my first foray into forums with an actual cry for help. I have found a short on a Spectre 13-4114na motherboard and its a chip called MT6TA I think or maybe MI6IA. The top half has blown off so it's difficult to be sure. There is a large coil next to it with two capacitors so it looks like a power circuit. It is a QFN package with 6 pins on one side and 3 pads (I think on the other)
Next door on the motherboard is an identical component layout but the ic says MS6PH instead. I have tracked the MS6PH to a chinese firm yoycart.com. Can any one help and say what the chip is and whether it's likely I can use a MS6PH instead because I can buy that. What does it do? Thannks in advance

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Can any one help and say what the chip is and whether it's likely I can use a MS6PH instead because I can buy that. What does it do? Thannks in advance

photo would probably be helpful

you commented on a similar chip, which may or may not be helpful since it's a totally different part number, is it really the only one on the board ?

mjosbourn

Nov 28, 2019
I am so sorry... I started to look through some of the other threads and realised my noobness (that has to be a word)

This I think was on the 19v rail. 4 photos to come.In no particular order as I don't know how the upload will treat them but I hope they will be clear
IC Removed = where I removed it showing the coil and 2 capacitors (? power rail/controller)
IC1 Bottom side = What was underneath the removed IC
IC Top Side Blown = nothing now but did have something like MT6TA or MI6IA before the removal process
Similar IC about 10cm to the left with exactly the same component layout but with a different label. It's almost like these are the same chip but different batch names). I checked the MS6PH (as I couldn't find the MT6TA) on google and a Chinese firm make them but show a picture of lots of chips with different names. So do they all do the same job but have different manufacturing labels?

Apologies again for my lack of information and, yes, the closest setup was an exact layout in terms of components just the chip description was different

Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• IC Removed.jpg
    IC Removed.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IC1 Bottom Side Pads.jpg
    IC1 Bottom Side Pads.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IC1 Top Side Blown.jpg
    IC1 Top Side Blown.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Similar IC setup.jpg
    Similar IC setup.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 8

mjosbourn

Nov 28, 2019
Exactly like that! I have found a similar chip on an old motherboard just like this. If it's just a logic gate can I switch it out?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I think its a step down regulator.
Have you tried to follow circuit and see how it connects?
Perhaps battery management circuit?

mjosbourn

Nov 28, 2019
OK. Thanks. I'm going to swop it out as I'm looking at a possible 5v rail here to the USB ports. No memory or power buttons etc on this side of the board. I'll let you know what happens