Connect with us

Identifying 3 unkown components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Sadlercomfort, Jul 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    Hi guys, as a learning experience I'd like to identify these components. I have 3 types of components here which I can't identify on the internet.

The black components have no markings on them but the other two blue components are both Phillips. One seems to be measured in the unit μM and the other has lots of markings so it's not so clear. Anybody recognize them?

Thanks

Ash

Attached Files:

2. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    First set looks like ferrite beads, 2nd looks like capacitors, but I'm not sure what's with the uM, and not sure on the 3rd set, get googling!

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Second set are electrolytic capacitors 100uF 25V, but why uM? The negative end has a black belt !

The third set could be wire wound ceramic high temperature resistors or plastic capacitors.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance. If you see it going up and up and up (easier to see on an analogue meter) then you have a large value (100's of uF) capacitor.

If you have a capacitance range, that should indicate the capacitance.

Cheaper multimeters with inductance ranges typically have ranges which do not cover most inductors used in electronics.

The last photo cleverly hides the markings. They may provide a clue.

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Ferrites, electrolytic capacitors and axial leaded fuses or precision resistors?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  6. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    Okay so we're sure we have ferrites and most likely axial electrolytic capacitors. I need to check the accuracy of my multimeter on brand new capacitors before testing the capacitors as it's getting old.

I'm going to write out the markings on the last set of components because its much easier for you guys to see. If it helps, i found the last components on an old amplifier. Out of the 8 components, there are 4 different markings;

"270p
    G400
    KP B6
    PHILIPS"

"100p
    G630
    KP B5
    PHILIPS"

"1n5
    F250
    KP B5
    PHILIPS"

"51p
    F630
    KP B5
    PHILIPS"

Thanks for everyone who replied,

Ash

7. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    270pF,100pF,1500pf and 51pF capacitors.

Someone will be able to say what the second number is, I suspect voltage.
    The third line may be dielectric or tolerance.

8. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    Just as Duke said, the last components are Film Polypropylene capacitors (plastic caps),
    I found an example of one here http://www.tedss.com/2222-464-73011.

The axial plastic capacitors like this one is obviously less common than the radial leaded type.

Thanks everyone,

Ash

Ask a Question