Connect with us

Identify this continuously rotating part please

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Andy Twose, May 24, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Andy Twose

Andy Twose

Feb 16, 2016
    Hi,

Repairing a microwave/multi cooker. It has on it's front a knob for setting times and weights and anything else.
    The knob rotates continuously with 23 click stops, so one would go to a time position and spin the knob back and forth to get the required setting.
    Anyway no setting that this knob is supposed to set can be adjusted.
    I have removed the component but to be honest do not know what it is or is supposed to be. There are 3 pinouts like a potentiometer and all pins measure o/c to each other.
    It is marked only TTC.

It can be viewed here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sa0bkisb9klfmcu/AAAoGaViKMNvWXvrLEQg4Qw5a?dl=0

Any thoughts appreciated

Andy

EDIT Decided to open it. Interesting. Rotary switch. Will investigate closely
    Added 4th image

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    It's a mechanical incremental rotary encoder. They can be had for as little as $7 new. It has 24 detents and is a PCB mount type. The resolution is unknown. TTC is a Chinese manufacturer. If there's no model number, you probably could only source from the OEM (maker of the oven) or by parameter.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. Andy Twose

Andy Twose

Feb 16, 2016
  5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    'Not indexed' means it doesn't have a mechanical 'feedback' (felt as 'clicks') when you rotate it.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

That's not what I would understand by (not) indexed

Not indexed as I understood it would mean that there is no defined starting point eg. an extra mark = index, to show the "0" position

KJ6EAD likes this.
  7. Andy Twose

Andy Twose

Feb 16, 2016
    Some progress to report.
    I tweaked the contacts in the original encoder to ensure good contact, re-assembled it and refitted. Same. Dead.
    New part came so fitted that. Physical size differences but it fitted OK.
    Pleased to see that spinning it allowed me to set the microwave time etc but only works in a forward direction.
    Guessing I need to know the spec of the original. e.g. A leads B by 30 degrees etc

8. Andy Twose

Andy Twose

Feb 16, 2016
    Not convinced the new part and the old part have the same pinout's. I think the common is on a different pin.
    Anyway I re-visited the original part.
    I re-opened it, completed de-greased it, cleaned the rotating contacts with a fibre pen, gave it all another good clean, then re-assembled with some silicone grease inside.
    Microwave works fine now, can select times etc forwards and backwards.

davenn and KJ6EAD like this.
  9. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Good job.

Ask a Question