Connect with us

Identify this capacitor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by guyit98, Oct 24, 2011.

1. guyit98

guyit98

Oct 24, 2011
    Can anyone help identifying the type of capacitor this is? It is from an AM car radio. Is a polyester film capacitor an acceptable replacement for it?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I would think that any non-polarised capacitor would do with a voltage capability of 75V or greater and of the right capacity.

Are you sure that it is faulty?

3. guyit98

guyit98

Oct 24, 2011
    The black line made me think that it was polarized. But I wasn't sure.

No, I don't have anything to test caps. But I was replacing the other electrolytic's since the radio powers up but can not pull in a station, and thought since I was placing an order anyway why not add this one to the order, since it is 40+ years old...

4. Alchymist

Alchymist

Apr 16, 2011
    Looks like one of the (old) paper/foil capacitors. The black band identified the outer layer of foil.

5. foTONICS

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
    have you checked your transistors? class C's are usually the first thing to go due to the constant slamming on and off. if your not picking anything it up it could be either what i just mentioned or maybe a tuned circuit somewhere got to old

Ask a Question