Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identify part to replace help.

Yamye

Oct 11, 2014
Hi All,
A component blew up on my moisture sensing board for my automatic watering system. I was wondering if anybody can tell me of the parts details also if it would be a direct replacement e.g. solder a new one in place? The part is directly above the potentiometer in the pic. Many thanks for looking.

DSC_0051.JPG

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Can you read any numbers or letters on the device. They are many thousand parts that look like that, and many do something else.
Adam

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It's an IC (integrated circuit) but I can't identify it because the part number is unreadable - partly because the light is at the wrong angle, and partly because of the damage to the IC. If you can post a picture that shows the undamaged part of the markings clearly, we may be able to work out what it is.

It's possible - actually quite likely - that it's a microcontroller, with a program inside. That means you can't just replace it with the same part number because it won't do anything until the program is loaded into it. And it's very unlikely that the manufacturer will give you the program so you can download it.

Finally, the fact that the IC has died like that probably means there is another fault on the board. So it's quite likely that the replacement IC would immediately fail the same way.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes good point Kris, what caused the IC to fail like this is probally still hanging around.
Adam

luca120

Sep 4, 2014
Hi yamye, welcome to elettronics point.

I think the LM393 for your board, but i'm not sure, can you check the pinout with the datasheet

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
luca120, I think you're right!

I can see something that looks like LM3 on there. Also I noticed that pins 1~4 are all connected together, which confused me, but that's exactly what you'd expect if only one of the comparators was used.

Yamye, ignore what I said about microcontrollers and programming. It's probably just a standard component - an LM393 in an SO-8 (small-outline IC, 8 pins) package. Check that "LM393" is visible on the device. These are available from Digikey (see http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM393M/LM393MFS-ND/458694) or Mouser (see http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMuayl/Ek2kXcVBpfhxevihPoKb5FkGEgsU=)

But there's a chance that the problem that caused it to go pop may still be present.

Yamye

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks for all your replies, so if it is a LM393 standard component it should be a straight change over, no program Etc? What I failed to mention was that I was the problem that caused this in the first place stupidly using wrong polarity supply to the board, man AC is so much easier to use lol. Thanks for all your help again I hope to replace this component now.

luca120

Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for all your replies, so if it is a LM393 standard component it should be a straight change over, no program Etc? What I failed to mention was that I was the problem that caused this in the first place stupidly using wrong polarity supply to the board, man AC is so much easier to use lol. Thanks for all your help again I hope to replace this component now.
Exactly, you can change directly, no program Etc...

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
if it is a LM393 standard component it should be a straight change over, no program Etc?
Yes.
What I failed to mention was that I was the problem that caused this in the first place stupidly using wrong polarity supply to the board, man AC is so much easier to use lol. Thanks for all your help again I hope to replace this component now.
Cool :)

Yamye

Oct 11, 2014
Okay thanks I will check all the details I can find against data sheet. Thank you for the warm welcome seems I can learn a lot from you guys.