Connect with us

Identify part to replace help.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Yamye, Oct 11, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Yamye

Yamye

Oct 11, 2014
    Hi All,
    A component blew up on my moisture sensing board for my automatic watering system. I was wondering if anybody can tell me of the parts details also if it would be a direct replacement e.g. solder a new one in place? The part is directly above the potentiometer in the pic. Many thanks for looking.

DSC_0051.JPG

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Can you read any numbers or letters on the device. They are many thousand parts that look like that, and many do something else.
    Adam

3. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It's an IC (integrated circuit) but I can't identify it because the part number is unreadable - partly because the light is at the wrong angle, and partly because of the damage to the IC. If you can post a picture that shows the undamaged part of the markings clearly, we may be able to work out what it is.

It's possible - actually quite likely - that it's a microcontroller, with a program inside. That means you can't just replace it with the same part number because it won't do anything until the program is loaded into it. And it's very unlikely that the manufacturer will give you the program so you can download it.

Finally, the fact that the IC has died like that probably means there is another fault on the board. So it's quite likely that the replacement IC would immediately fail the same way.

Yamye likes this.
  4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes good point Kris, what caused the IC to fail like this is probally still hanging around.
    Adam

Yamye likes this.
  5. luca120

luca120

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi yamye, welcome to elettronics point.

I think the LM393 for your board, but i'm not sure, can you check the pinout with the datasheet

Yamye and KrisBlueNZ like this.
  6. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    luca120, I think you're right!

I can see something that looks like LM3 on there. Also I noticed that pins 1~4 are all connected together, which confused me, but that's exactly what you'd expect if only one of the comparators was used.

Yamye, ignore what I said about microcontrollers and programming. It's probably just a standard component - an LM393 in an SO-8 (small-outline IC, 8 pins) package. Check that "LM393" is visible on the device. These are available from Digikey (see http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM393M/LM393MFS-ND/458694) or Mouser (see http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMuayl/Ek2kXcVBpfhxevihPoKb5FkGEgsU=)

But there's a chance that the problem that caused it to go pop may still be present.

Yamye likes this.
  7. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    It's a LM393 all right. You can see it in the photo of this ebay auction.
    Dan

Yamye, Arouse1973 and KrisBlueNZ like this.
  8. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Well done Dan

Supercap2F, Yamye and KrisBlueNZ like this.
  9. Yamye

Yamye

Oct 11, 2014
    Thanks for all your replies, so if it is a LM393 standard component it should be a straight change over, no program Etc? What I failed to mention was that I was the problem that caused this in the first place stupidly using wrong polarity supply to the board, man AC is so much easier to use lol. Thanks for all your help again I hope to replace this component now.

10. luca120

luca120

Sep 4, 2014
    I repeat,I'm not sure, I hope I helped you

P.s. sorry for my poor English ;)

Yamye likes this.
  11. luca120

luca120

Sep 4, 2014
    Exactly, you can change directly, no program Etc...

Yamye and KrisBlueNZ like this.
  12. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes.
    Cool :)

Yamye likes this.
  13. Yamye

Yamye

Oct 11, 2014
    Okay thanks I will check all the details I can find against data sheet. Thank you for the warm welcome seems I can learn a lot from you guys.

KrisBlueNZ likes this.
Ask a Question