Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identify part on tray motor

InVancouver

Apr 4, 2012
I have a very small motor that I took out of the tray drive of an old 3.5 floppy drive (or it could have come from the car audio cd player... can't be sure now which one I salvaged this part from).

The motor is attached to a plastic housing that contains a gear. The motor housing has four wires... two wires that go directly to the motor... and two go to the gear box. I was able to power the motor from the two obvious wires using the 5V from my arduino.

I thought the other two wires on the gear box must be a solenoid to reverse gear direction (open and close tray)... so I tried 1.5v, 5v, 9v, and 12v in each direction... however the direction of the gear does not change.
Maybe I am wrong about what this part is?
Or maybe I am using it wrong?

I cant find the part on google... Y172 C844B

Can anyone help me get this part to function?
Also... is there a place to upload photos in this forum?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Could the other wires be a sensor?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
yeah because to change direction in a DC motor requires you change the polarity of the voltage applied to it. Seems way to overly complex to run a solenoid to active reverse gear.

A sensor would make more sense to be honest.

InVancouver

Apr 4, 2012
Sensors

How can I move this thread to "Datasheets, Schematics, Manuals and Parts"

I appreciate both points above regarding sensors... though I can't see how it could be a sensor with two wires going into a gear box. Reversing polirity can be more complex than activating a simple switch to change gears.

If there is a place to upload photos...? I am sure someone will know the answer...
Thanks for all your ideas. I have many parts that I am not yet sure of... and some of these old parts can't be found on google. I wonder if someone knows of a good source to determin what salvaged parts are?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How can I move this thread to "Datasheets, Schematics, Manuals and Parts"

You can't. But I can :)

I appreciate both points above regarding sensors... though I can't see how it could be a sensor with two wires going into a gear box. Reversing polirity can be more complex than activating a simple switch to change gears.

It could be sensing the rotation of a shaft, so that the circuit knows if the motor is stalled.

If there is a place to upload photos...? I am sure someone will know the answer...

When you reply, instead of typing in the box below and pressing "post quick reply", instead press "go advanced" and type your response there. You will find a number of tools on that form, including one that looks like a paper clip. With that you can upload and attach small images.

Thanks for all your ideas. I have many parts that I am not yet sure of... and some of these old parts can't be found on google. I wonder if someone knows of a good source to determin what salvaged parts are?

Look at the stick post in the datasheets section. It gives you a whole lot of things to do to try to find datasheets.

InVancouver

Apr 4, 2012
You both were right...

Yes... as you both said... it does seem to be a sensor. I was able to read voltage change with a meter upon each turn of the gear. So... with the arduino I was able to read the change and turn the motor on/off per rotation.

What I don't understand... if the motor gear stays in a specific fixed location... though there is no power to the motor or to the gear wires... there is a +V. If I again turn the motor on and past this position... then V=0.

How can there be a +V (though small) on some kind of position sensor... inside a gear box... with no power running to it?

A00 pin of the arduino reads 0V on positions 0 to 170 deg and plus 200 on the last 10 deg.

If I stop the motor withing that last 10 deg (and no power is running to it)... there is still a plus 200 reading on A00 pin.