Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Identify component

derleaf

Sep 14, 2011
I am trying to repair a Samsung 226 monitor. The leaky caps I can find a parts list for, but one of the resistors looks decidely dodgy. The value given in the service manual (75 ohm) does not appear to match the colour stripes. Could anyone assist in identifying the part I would need to replace it?

resistor.jpg

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
That's strange..
It is a resistor but I'm unable to decide on the light color bands. Are they supposed to be brown? Does it measure 160 ohms?
It doesn't look burnt, and the brown stuff looks like flux residue - but it usually doesn't collect like that in a place like that.
Has it possibly been replaced previously?
Where in the circuit/diagram is it placed?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
When resistors with painted color bands heat up, some paint can change color.
I'd go with what the manual schematic says it ought to be.
(I don't know the science of the dyes/tints in the paints, I've just seen it happen, and
know it happens for a fact)
Good luck with it.
ps. Something caused that resistor to fry, .... trace the circuit out.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Oh.
I know the resistor doesn't look burned.
There's no other flux anywhere around there, and it leaked down the board.
The resistor probably had a conformal coating on it, that melted from heat.

nepow

Jul 18, 2011
It looks like a 2 watt power resistor, they do get quite hot and the enamel tends to change colour slightly, I don't think it's 75 ohm... Resqueline could well be correct with his suggestion and 360 ohm is also a possibility, best to measure it's resistance if you can. One end looks as though it connects to the zener diode and will have it's voltage and power rating printed on the glass envelope, the other end of the resistor would most likely connect to one of the rectified DC lines? need to look at the circuit really. Be careful around this section if you are making live checks!! Kind Regards

nepow

Jul 18, 2011
Just another thought... check and make sure the underside soldering is in good condition! as mentioned these resistors run very hot but some manufactures fail to observe the need to space them off of the PCB!! if the soldered points look dull grey then carefully remove the resitor, clean up and re_tin it's legs, or if you do replace it then space the new part off the board.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
have you actually measured the valueof that resistor ?

Dave