Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ice Machine fault

kahlereese

Apr 8, 2012
Hi,

My ice machine has stopped producing ice. I believe that I have isolated the problem down to the 'ice full sensor'. There are a set of lasers that shoot across the top of the tray to determine when it is full. Once enough ice has been produced to break the laser it sends a signal to the control panel to stop making ice.

I don't know enough about general electronics to understand how they work. Could I just replace the lasers (are they fairly generic?) or can I bypass them somehow. I would prefer to replace them, but don't know what type of signal they send to the control panel.

I've attached some pictures. Thank you for any help you can provide.
-Kahle

Attachments

• IMG_4972.jpg
    IMG_4972.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4975.jpg
    IMG_4975.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 144

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I can't resist the joke, maybe your lasers are melting your ice.
First I'd look at the lenses on the laser/detectors, to make sure they're not just coated
with calcium deposits from the water.
I don't think anybody would recommend just replacing your sensor circuit, it's very possible
something else in the circuit went bad. Without a background in electronics, you'll
probably have to talk to somebody that services your ice maker.
Good luck, hope it's not too expensive to fix.

kahlereese

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the sensor would be that complicated to replace.

The machine only cost around 80 quid, so I assume getting it serviced would be almost as expensive replacing it. I can't find any documentation online for it aside from it is made in China. It is a brand called Contessa.

I would be happy to try and just bypass the sensor, it isn't really important to the machine. I would just plug it in when I needed ice.

Will keep searching. Appreciate the response.

Kahle