Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Iaudio X5L charging issues\Question.

Whosondephone

Nov 4, 2015
The Iaudio X5L is an flac/mp3 player. As the title says it doesn't charge and sometimes won't turn on when plugged in. This came about a year after I replaced the batteries. There is a SMT component that has exploded. I have no idea what is is. I think it is either a capacitor, inductor or fuse. The mess it made resembles a green corroded copper color. Like my car's corroded battery terminals. The last time I took it apart I realized that I may have smushed it with the positive voltage wire from the battery upon reassembly. The uploaded picture points out the bad part "|JW" Can someone tell me what it is? Thank You!!!

Attachments

• x5 cap.jpg
    x5 cap.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 115

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The uploaded picture points out the bad part "|JW" Can someone tell me what it is? Thank You!!!

yeah, its a tantalum capacitor
They are polarised, see the bar on one end

going by the really small size, its probably less than 10uF, you could try a 4.7uF with a voltage rating a few volts higher than what the cap is likely to have across it

Dave

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Whosondephone . . . . . . . . . .

WHAT ? all of this time and no one "toles" you, that the JW cap coding is being a :
6.8 ufd capacitor at a 6.3 VDC rating.

73's de Edd

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sir Whosondephone . . . . . . . . . .

WHAT ? all of this time and no one "toles" you, that the JW cap coding is being a :
6.8 ufd capacitor at a 6.3 VDC rating.

73's de Edd

where did you get that info from, please ?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Davenn . . . . .

Maybe . . . . . . Hesnotondephoneanymore . . . . . . . (Cause we kept him on HOLD too long.)

But the values that we most commonly use and see used, are on page 2 of . . . . .:

This Da Da sheet:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/40179/tmcp.pdf

73's de Edd

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Maybe . . . . . . Hesnotondephoneanymore . . . . . . . (Cause we kept him on HOLD too long.)

I had given him a close enough value the same day he posted, maybe you didn't see that ;) ;)

Whosondephone

Nov 4, 2015
Thank you 73's De Edd! Great info. It looks this may do the trick. http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=184438686&uq=635838260667837185

I wanted to order some other parts so I was holding out for a little bit.

I'm curious though Does it sound plausible that I squashed it with the wire? Is it likely something else could be wrong with the device? I suppose there is only one way for me to find out to find out.

EDIT: Should I replace both? It looks like they are a pair of some sort in the picture.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir . . . . . .Areyoustillonthatold-old-old-oldphone?

It looks this may do the trick. http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=184438686&uq=635838260667837185

Yep, that's them, and also a STOCKING dealership, and even an option of the Kemet brand.(Spel chek sez Emmett, but we knows that he got caught in the "downsizing" back in '91 ! )

I'm curious though Does it sound plausible that I squashed it with the wire?
I certainly don't think so, the insulation on the wire should give some cushioning, even in a cramped positioning.

Is it likely something else could be wrong with the device?
How successfull was your battery replacement, and did it seem to give you some normal use and performance BEFORE this mishap occurred ?
I didn't look it up, but the unit does use a single 3.6 VDC Li Ion cell of ???? current/wattage , doesn't it ?

I would initially want to know if this is YOUR unit and you have been using it for Y-e-a-r-s , with never any problems, and if the charger is the original manufacturers unit and has never given you a-n-y problems either.

Now if you have used an out of a blister pack, generic power unit , AND NOT WELL voltage limited, that would be another story.
That family of dry tantalum electrolytics like to fail in the manner that you have found, when being subjected to voltage overload.
IF there is adequate current / power reserve in the power supply / battery, they will make a distinctive snapping / cracking noise and a putrid, yet VERY distinctive odor, will emanate forthwith !
PLUS . . . . they can initially glow in the dark, they get so hot.

EDIT: Should I replace both? It looks like they are a pair of some sort in the picture.

SURE looks like the pair are paralleled , with them being mounted side by side, like they are.

Testee . . . . .testee . . . .

Initially switch your VOM to DC mode and check for any voltage presence between the +'s of the electrolytic pair and then do the same between the -'s.
That initial test THEN gives a safe go-ahead to switch the VOM to its low ohms range and then check between the +'s for an expected "short" (interconnecting foil pad ) and then test
the -'s in the came manner.

Remember . . . . .

Your VOM knows all . . .sees all . . .and tells all . . . . and is easily 10 orders of magnitude better than an Ouija board !

73's de Edd

Whosondephone

Nov 4, 2015
Testee . . . . .testee . . . .

Silly me, I should know better.

I was a little concerned about the ESR specks being different. Why would they be different? Could the capacitors be used to filter high frequency AC from switching PS... Logic circuts? How the mind can keep wandering...

The X5L comes with 2 3.6 VDC Li Ion cell batteries. One at 2200mAh and one at 1100mAh. They are wired up in a bit of a complicated manner. I'll have to post back later on that. Rockbox firmware reported the voltage on boot at about 4.7V. I believe that was after the battery replacement.

I picked this up from eBay around 2009. Worked fine for about a year. Miner hangups here and there, I considered them normal. After the replacement I seemed to work fine for about a year maybe less. I was running it off the battery the day it died. The battery appeared to have died unusually soon.

I believe that it is the original power supply because mine looks like the one coming with every X5 on eBay. Although I have always questioned the ridiculously small size of it.

Thank you so much for shearing your time and expertise.

scott16

Jun 8, 2019
I just got one of these Iaudio X5's it came with one of those charging/sync cables, but it was missing the original subpack, I was wondering does anyone have a pinout of the connector on the bottom of the X5 (the one the subpack connected to) bc I'd like to make a cable for line-in (so I can record line in) if that is possible.