Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I wouldn't be that stupid! (would I?)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I discovered one of my meters has a 400mA fast blow fuse in it.

I also discovered that the meter needs to be completely disassembled to get to it.

And I discovered I didn't have a fuse to fit.

But I did have a 375mA surface mount fuse :)

Attachments

• IMG_3669b (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_3669b (Mobile).JPG
    14 KB · Views: 131

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Leaving aside the fact that only amateurish misuse of the meter could result in the need for a fuse replacement, I would have pulled the ferrules off of the glass tube and mounted the SMD fuse inside with bus wire soldered to each ferrule producing a finely crafted kludge fuse. ;)

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
I've done similar things with fuses, though, not surface mount replacements.

In older cars, where glass replacements can be hard to come by, or only had blade style fuses on hand, I would sometimes solder the leads from the fuse holder to the ends of the glass fuse.

In my Fluke meter I have done the same with the current test fuse, soldered wire to each end of the fuse, and then used some .187 female blade terminals to use with mini a blade fuse (ATM). It tucks nicely along side the case.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hey, I've done something else!

I was using a blower-vac outside to pick up leaves and stuff after mulching some garden refuse.

Under the compost bin (where the stuff went) was hiding a large black plastic bag.

The 2400W blower vac sucked the bag up with more gusto that I've seen it employ against anything else before.

Then I hear a nasty sound (stalled motor).

Even though my finger was a matter of cm from the power switch it really took me a couple of seconds to react and I pulled out the power cord.

The blower-vac smelt very much like the smell you don't want to smell from a motor or transformer.

As I was dissasembling it the area around the motor was getting warmer (clearly it took a while for that heat to escape the windings :(

About 30 screws later I cracked it open revealing a very hot motor (still about 60C I estimate) and a black plastic bag completely encasing the impeller.

Put it back together after removing the bag and it still works.

I don't want to find out how many seconds is required to toast the motor, so I'll keep well away from plastic bags in the future!

It was almost doubly disappointing because I was planning to spend about $90 on one of these when my wife found the "shop soiled demo" going for $30. After getting it for such a good price it would kill me to have to buy another at full price!