Connect with us

I want to put a switch on the cable of a dc power supply

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by pogonoforysci, Jul 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pogonoforysci

pogonoforysci

Jul 17, 2012
    Hi everyone. I have a problem with my set of gaming headphones. They need to be connected to their own power supply but have no on/off button. So far to turn them of I was just pulling out the power cable (it's a break away type, i. e. has socket and plug on the way to the power supply). Recently I started having problems with reconnecting the headphones. I think the socket on the power cable has worn of and I have to wiggle the plug in it to get the current to the headphones. I thought that maybe I can improve the design an put an on/off switch on the power cable so I wouldn't have to pull the plug out every time I want to switch off the headphones. However I have no idea what kind of switch would be suitable. The power cable is 2 wire type, one wire is black, and one has a white stripe. I have a very limited knowledge of electronics/electric repair so help would be really appreciated.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. mechtronics

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
    ya any simple toggle switch or slide switch will do the trick.

4. pogonoforysci

pogonoforysci

Jul 17, 2012
    Thank you for the replies. At the moment I have this switch:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/push-to-make-switch-34858
    http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...5-BRR-L3/?qs=42TdBvIR/Y4DLjTn46doHtAoDARTMLV2
    would it be OK? My problem with it is that it has 4 pins (two slightly longer and two shorter). I don't know witch wire of the power cord I should cut (black, black with white stripe or both?) and to which pins it should be connected. From my googling it seems that the switch that I have has a LED diode and one pair of the pins is for powering it but I don't know which one. It would be nice to have the LED working but I think that this switch was designed for use with pc cabling where there are several hot wires (I think?) whereas my cable has only one hot wire (black?!?) so I don't know how it should be connected. Finally I would prefer to use some kind of salf contained switch to make the whole thing look better but so far I haven't found anything small without soldering pins sticking out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Again thanks for replies and sorry if my rumbling is hard to understand, I suffer from a severe lack of appropriate terminology.

5. mechtronics

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
    just buy a mini toggle switch 2 way with three pins a lot easier. ud get them on ebay for half nothing. middle pin would be ur positive connection and you can use either of the other two pins to run your wire off to the unit.

6. markm6164

markm6164

Jan 22, 2012
    Hi, you link to mouser includes a datasheet for the switch giving you pin numbers and a diagram on how to connect it.

http://www.sci.com.tw/PRODUCTS/switch/(R13) PUSH SWITCH/R13-508.htm

7. pogonoforysci

pogonoforysci

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks for the link to the diagram. I've seen it before but I have no idea how to read it and what the markings mean (like what is the difference between A and DL/ 2P SPST and 3P SPST). I presume that black dots are the terminals but then are the solid and dashed lines the wires? The diagram only shows wiring 'within' the switch but not which terminals should be connected with the power source and the thing that I want to power?

Ask a Question