Connect with us

I want to program microcontrollers. Tell me what to do next.

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by Ilya_Radium, Mar 11, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ilya_Radium

Ilya_Radium

Mar 11, 2018
    Hello! I am a student, I study computer engineering (1st year). The thing is that I'm attracted to the programming of microcontrollers. In circuitry I'm noob. I have programming experience on Arduino (C ++) and on AVR (ansi C) and now I'm writing programs in C++.
    As far as I am considered, STM32 is now relevant. Tell me please, what do you think will be relevant in the near future, in which direction to move on and what to study(what resources I should use, and where I can discuss my difficulties). Thank you and excuse me for my English (I'm from Ukraine).

hevans1944 and CDRIVE like this.
  2. BitHead

BitHead

Mar 2, 2012
    I would suggest... smartphone interface programming to control 'things'.
    Become less of a NOOB with circuitry.
    Get an ESP8266 - make a silly little toy - maybe just a buffer chip (ULN2803?) running LEDs or motors.
    Get it to host a web page (static IP?) that sends/accepts commands (GET-POST stuff) to maybe run a motor and return its RPM. (you get to make an RPM counter!)
    Android Bluetooth apps... attach a Bluetooth serial module (like maybe an HM-11) to the UART on your toy - do it with an app (learn to write code for Android interface).
    THEN... maybe try to do it the hard way - a toy made with STM32WB. ;-)
    OR... if you just want to sit on your butt and tap keys in front of a monitor, learn more about DSP with the STM32 family. DSP is needed to solve a lot of 'real world' problems, from noise filtering to voice recognition to motion control.
    And... discussing your difficulties is what you do with your classmates/friends. Discussing what to do after 'trying and failing' (preferably more than once) - is what you can do here. :)

Ilya_Radium likes this.
  3. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Young man I've re-read this well structured question a few times. You have nothing to excuse yourself for.

Welcome to EP.
    Chris

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The $64,000 question :D

Some would argue that quantum computers would be the future (and I'd tend to agree) but technology changes so rapidly these days it isn't easy to anticipate what the markets may be interested in in a couple of years, never mind the 'near future' (which I'd call 5-10 years).

It might be more relevant to consider what AREA of electronics will be prevalent in 'the near future' such as robotics, AI, etc but they all have a common 'need' and that is SENSORS.

If you want to leap in at the start of something big then keep a close eye (technical eye) on sensor technology and the interfacing it may require. On a programming level the need for speech and visual recognition will be high on the agenda but so will 'feeling' and 'proximity' detectors.

MasterT and CDRIVE like this.
Ask a Question