Connect with us

I want to make a mini tesla coil

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hyudryu, Mar 23, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    I want to make a mini tesla coil and i need help. I just need to get it up to around 3kV I dont want anything higher because i dont want to hurt me or anyone. I thought of using a 555 circuitry to convert DC to AC and perhaps use a transformer. I have 1 question. What will happen if i were to plug a charger transformer from the output to the outlet and the input would have 1kV? According to the ratio, it would get up to 1kV. Will that work? or will it blow up?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I don't think you understand what a Tesla coil is.

Don't even think about connecting up a transformer to step up the mains like that, It's stupidly dangerous.

Please try to survive your teenage years.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    Ok i thought about it then i decided not to do anything stupid until i get approval from someone like you

4. scrillacos

scrillacos

Mar 25, 2010
    Didnt they use one of those on mythbusters to zap a dummy with a doorknob in his lip?

5. 55pilot

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
    You know what else they do on Mythbusters? They always say: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

---55p

6. bigdodd

bigdodd

May 29, 2010
    If you are thinking about building one make sure you research, research, research before even thinking about a design!! I have finally got mine finished and it took me nearly two years of trial and error and fortunately no accidents.

May I ask why you want to build one?

Ask a Question