Connect with us

I want to make a FM radio transmitter, help me

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by shaheen, Nov 1, 2009.

1. shaheen

shaheen

Nov 1, 2009
    hi,
    How can i make a FM radio transmitter with range of 1.5 kilometer.
    if anyone have a circuit, please send me. or simply guide me on right direction.
    i have not strong concepts about electronics.
    thank you

2. neon

neon

Oct 21, 2006
    try 0.99 centsm stores all biult for 0.99 usa cents including batteries BIULD?

3. cj_elec_tech

cj_elec_tech

Oct 7, 2009
    G'day NEON:
    I think you might have mis-read the post; this person is asking about a TRANSMITTER not a receiver.

mwasif_ciit:
    Due to the power needed to transmit over the distance you want to achieve, you would probably be required to obtain a license from the relevant Transmission Authority - certainly, that's the case in Australia.

CJ

4. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    I know in the US dog tracking collars are able to transmit up to 8.5km without a license. They run around 216-220Mhz. I am actually looking around for the circuit diagram so I can make a couple for my dogs. In the US they run around $300USD.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey CheeseHunter, you're replying to a thread that's 3 years old.

edit: CheeseHunter referred to the username of Richard Muller before he had it changed. He possibly didn't know the meaning of it here, and I didn't realise what it may have meant to him.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    So you could have like a doggy pirate radio station? :p

7. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    FM Transmitter

Actually it is for a tracking system. I have a FM receiver running 216.300 and 216.450Mhz. The problem is I have one of the collars and the other one went with my $1500 Plott Hound. He got stolen in a hunting competition. So instead of buying another one I plan to build one. If you are wondering why I don't just look at the other transmitters board, it is sealed in epoxy. The manufacture doesn't want me to do that now do they. If you know anything about radio trans missions and would like to share I am willing to listen. If you feel it necessary to make fun of me then feel free I am just trying to save a few hundred dollars. Thanks in advance for any positive feedback.

8. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    Its coonhunter and yes I realized the thread is 3 years old, but all the current threads want to broadcast music and or voice and I am only looking to broadcast a pulse. roughly 1 pulse every second. If you can help me great if not why raz me about my username. If you need to know My name is RICHARD. OK

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    They are licensed by rule for specific applications, not individually...

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Orders/1996/fcc96315.txt

Also individual products are made and 'tested' to be in compliance with FCC rules on an individual basis...

Just because product A can transmit on any particular frequency without a license doesn't mean that that frequency is a free for all that anyone can broadcast on unrestricted...

10. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    "Each of these new low power uses involve short range transmitters that are unlikely to cause harmful interference to TV reception on adjacent frequencies or government operations in the upper portion of the band."

This is what I am trying to build a low power short range(6-8miles is the spec on the commercial unit) I am trying to get a range of about 1mile.

11. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's because it could be interpreted in a very nasty way that could get you banned.

I chose instead to interpret it in a slightly off-beat way.

How would you prefer I interpreted it? (I mean, it could be your surname, or maybe you hunt racoons, I don't know.)

12. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You can't pick on sentence out of an entire document as an all inclusive summary... The document clearly defines what services can use that frequency and lays down ground rules... It's also an old document there are likely changes or amendments to be found...

Also as I said, the devices have to be (or should be) certified for use, it's not a free for all to build whatever you want and 'think' might be compliant...

13. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    Why am i getting so much grief over this topic? I have read multiple threads pertaining to this and they have gotten their answers from guests. I am not trying to do anything illegal. I am trying to save money, but that is it. There are many different articles about building you own FM broadcast circuits that is not my intention. If i can build one of these and modify it to work on frequency 216.300 and give a pulse every second. As far as the FCC goes I went to their site ans found that the range 216-220 is for radio location . In the information that was provided for me to read it state that low power transmitters are ok for public use. Where am I going wrong here.

14. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    and did it state what their definition of "Low Power " is ?

10mW, 0.5W, 1W whatever ???
    thats where you can come unstuck and go from unlicened public use to being classed as a pirate

Dave

Dave

15. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    it said below 100mW

16. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Possibly because everyone else has at least one of the following:
    - Patience
    - The right questions
    - A sense of humour

Complaining only makes more people not want to answer you.

17. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    the big issue is that even if we give you a very specific schematic to follow, a wrong resistor or cap could possibly turn your little device into something similiar to a radio frequency jammer/blanket.
    anything that involves long distance tansmissions is usually best left to professionals. and when I say long distance, I am talking about anything over 15metres(45ft roughly) as that is about the standard unit you can buy for play. the device you had is 1500 because of a few things including a top-notch electronics engineer to build and test it then make it tamperproof to avoid it being used as said radio jammer.
    have a look around and see if you can find another version of this product.

also I would prefer your name changed as its not just the name of a cheese but a really bad word here in aus, derogatory term for our indigenous race.... not used that often anymore thank god

18. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    To be fair to the guy I wasnt even aware of the racial slur associated with that name - had to google it and even then all the top links simply referenced a popular activity. Also remember how Brian from Family Guy was trained to react to people of different ethnicity :p

And to be fair to everyone I'm an animal lover and take a dim view of 'pleasure hunting' but those are my personal views and I leave those outside the forum (only mentioning here because of the already active controversy :p )

19. Richard Muller

Richard Muller

Oct 27, 2012
    screen name

To any moderator please change my screen name to Richard Muller. I don't want to offend anyone. I use that screen name in almost every forum I belong to. It is understandable that people can take it the wrong way, so lets remove that issue if we can. I have went to edit profile, and tried to change it. It does not give me the option. Sorry to anyone whom I may have offended it was not my intention. Thank you

20. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I've changed your name for you.

Ask a Question