Connect with us

I Want To LightUp An Old Rear Projecton RGB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by HammerSlammer, Apr 22, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HammerSlammer

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
    Hi everyone.
    I have a bunch of RGB (guns?) from old Rear projection TVs. I want to be able to turn them on and off. I'm a musician with hardly any money to buy stage lighting and am thinking this would be a good project to make some cool RGB stage lighting. Always been a DIYer with many projects under my belt. Always looking to learn new things. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      206 KB
      Views:
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You would need a high voltage source, something to perform horizontal and vertical scanning of the electron beam, and possibly cooling.

The simplest way would be to start with a working projection TV (maybe one with image problems, but one which displayed all the colours on the screen). Then remove the screen and extraneous stuff. Drive it from a video source that provided the mix of colours and intensities you want.

The internal voltages and the fact it's not designed as a general purpose light source might make it a little dangerous and/or not very exciting.

3. HammerSlammer

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
    The thing about this project was the fact that I had full access to the entire working Rear Projection Televisions and didn't know what to salvage and what to trash.
    My original concept/idea was to make video files on my PC with changing colors (synced to the music) and run it through the guns. It would be like having an unmanned programmed light show, while we played.
    It ended up that there was too many wires, sensors and unnecessary circuits and boards that I had no use for (IR receiver, tuners, audio, etc.), that I decided to scrap everything except the guns, even my idea of running video through my new project.
    So, I decided to salvage the guns only, and try to figure out how to fire them and use manual switches. Seems the entire project has come to an end now. Too much trouble and too complicated.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The simplest approach would be to eliminate the beam focusing. I'm not sure if that is even possible. If it were (let's assume it is for a minute) you'd still have to have the (dangerous) high voltage supply and some means to modulate it to control the brightness.

I'm sorry, I can't think of any easier way. :(

5. HammerSlammer

HammerSlammer

Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks for all the input. This is a dead issue now. Would appreciate help with my other post about a Jog Wheel. Thanks again.

Ask a Question