Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I want to learn

Harrison_Grant

Dec 9, 2011
About circuits and all these sorts of things because i am interested in being a computer engineering. Any way to start doing this. I have 3 months of programming experience in C++
. Just need to know what to buy what to read and where to start.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi Harrison_Grant

Programming applied to electronics can be done at different level. The closer from the hardware is firmware programming. This is something low level and you must understand how to use somewhat limited processor resources and how the controller peripherals are working (look for PIC or AVR programming books). On a higher level you can implement linux on electronics platform with all features available, peripherals control are handled via drivers (look for gumstick, beagle board, or TS-7400 . It's all depend how close from the hardware part you want to be.

Olivier

Harrison_Grant

Dec 9, 2011
I want to do some what a lot of the hardware, also because i am very interested on how everything works. But, i will get right to looking for those books. Where can i find electronic supplies though does radio shack still sell that stuff?

Harrison_Grant

Dec 9, 2011
Now what about the tools i will need in the beginning some simple things so i can make a light bulb turn on or make a program that lets me turn on and off a light. Sometimes it is hard to find a starting point with these things so, sorry for all the questions.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
In the U.S. digikey and mouser are the two big on-line sellers where you can get practically any electronic parts.

If you are talking about programming microcontrollers, I am partial to PIC microcontrollers from Microchip, but that is an accident of how I got started. If you want to go the PIC route, this:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/i...Id=1406&dDocName=en539716&redirects=picdemlab

Might be a good start. It contains all the components you need to breadboard some circuits with PIC microcontrollers and program them.

Bob

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
another very cool and pretty easy approach to micro-controllers are the arduino.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
With C experience, you could go Arduino or PIC. The first is pretty much exclusively programmed in something almost exactly like C, the latter has many compilers available, with several C compilers being an option.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KV3590&keywords=kv&form=KEYWORD

theres a project that will take a few minutes to solder and you can connect basic items up to it to turn them on of via your computer.
I am as noob as you can get with electronics and I found the easiest way to learn is build pre existing kits then figure out how they work.
with every bit of respect intended here EVERYONE on this forum can offer some form of info so if you get stuck on the how and why ask us and someone will have an answer.
Best of luck and hope to see a project of yours soon

Harrison_Grant

Dec 9, 2011
@donkey Is their a cheaper kit for something starting then that? @BobK thank you for the resources for me to be able to order stuff online i have bookmarked it. @steve is it the same as C++ or different? and which is better pic or ardunio.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
From the arduino site...

"The Arduino language is based on C/C++. It links against AVR Libc and allows the use of any of its functions"

I'll tell you which is better between arduino and pic if you tell me which is better between apples and oranges.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
The one thing I really like about the arduino is the flexibility it has. Using C is quite highly regarded as one of the best languages for hardware control. The linux kernel is coded in C as per an example.

Also with the arduino, you can use their sketch IDE or you can code directly in C and compile it against AVR into a hex that you can upload.

every micro-controller has its place, if you are in the US you should look up lady ada fruit industries. You will surely be impressed if you are that much into hardware. Surprised you haven't mentioned it since it is so widely know. The BBC and Bloomberg have done segments on her and the DIY revolution.

edit: BTW I like apples the most!

Harrison_Grant

Dec 9, 2011
So ardunio it is then. With that being said i went on to the lady ada fruit industries site and was quite surprised to see that i am not in love. I will be ordering all sorts of cool things off their site. And @Jack the reason i have not heard of the site is because since i have turned 18 and have been looking into computer programming i had only skimmed the surface of what i wanted to do. I really had no idea really the possibles and choices i had to choose from. So as i am starting college i have really getting into what i really love. So here i am :D Time to learn.