Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I Want to Create a Revolutionary Table Fan!

Simply Me

Apr 24, 2022
I saw a video on YouTube that a regular fan consumes around 70W. But a BLDC Fan consumes only around 33W. So my competitor as of now is BLDC fans. And I am aiming around 50% to 90% reduction compared to a BLDC fan

Simply Me

Apr 24, 2022
The typical fan to date has often been the AC induction motor with shaded pole, these run very hot and are inefficient.
I see there is already a company making them with ECM (PWM) motors which are very efficient and portable.
How are you going to make a product that is more efficient than a BLDC or 3ph driven ECM, both P.M. motors. ?

The only way is to think out of the box ideas.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Best as mentioned, you go back and study some physics, then you might get some idea at least behind what you are proposing.
There is no such thing as free lunch or free energy.

CircutScoper

Mar 29, 2022
I am New to electronics and electrical field. So to start with, I am trying to make 1/10th energy consumption fan compared to a BLDC Fan.

You say you want to reduce fan power consumption by 90%? No problem. Nothing simpler. Make it BIG -- and SLOW.

The cooling potential of a stream of air is proportional to its mass = density x area x velocity, but its kinetic energy, and therefore the power required to accelerate it, is proportional to velocity squared. Therefore, to cut power by 10x while maintaining the same cooling potential, simply cut velocity by square_root(10) = 3.162 while holding mass constant, which you can accomplish by increasing area by the same factor.

That is to say, since area is proportional to diameter squared, just increase fan diameter by square_root(square_root(10)) = 1.778.

Done! Now just start cranking out your energy-saving mega-jumbo fans and collect your fortune. I will, of course, expect a fair royalty.

Say 90%?

Ain't physics grand?

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Put a hand crank on the fan, then you'll need no electric motor at all -> 100 % savings.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I passed bachelor's in commerce a few years ago.
With those skills you'd be far better off trying to find someone who has the design/build experience and marketing their product for them - even if you take the basic idea to them as a startiing point - for a percentage return. There will be little gain in trying to achieve the design/construction yourself if you have to go through the learning process to even begin the process!

I'm (personally) 'crap' at marketing and such stuff but my wife is really good at it so between the two of us we have made a number of successful businesses together.

Recognise your own particular skills and partner with the right person(s) so you can all benefit.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
But a BLDC Fan consumes only around 33W. So my competitor as of now is BLDC fans. And I am aiming around 50% to 90% reduction compared to a BLDC fan
So you're aiming for a consumption of only 10%-50% of 33W = 3.3W-16.5W ? That won't be enough energy to shift much air.