Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I want to add a usb port to charge cellphones to my electronics unit?

StevenTheSloth

Nov 22, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best way to add a usb port to my e-nail unit. Here is a wiring diagram.

Two questions:

1.) Whats the actual electronic piece I need? I am no electronics expert nor am I majoring in engineering; but would something like this work? http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/electronic-brick-5v-relay-module-digital-p-479.html

From what I understand, a phone charger would be connected to 5 volt usb port. So what is the best thing I could do to use the 120 volt circuit to power a 5 volt usb port?

2.) If you have a good usb port in mind I should use, how should I wire it based on my wiring diagram?

Thanks a bunch, and hope to learn more than a thing or two for you folks here!

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.png
    Wiring Diagram.png
    463.3 KB · Views: 131

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Essentially you connect 5V to a USB socket.

However, in practice you may also need to connect some resistors up to the other pins to tell devices (notably Apple devices) how much current the port can supply.

StevenTheSloth

Nov 22, 2014
Essentially you connect 5V to a USB socket.

However, in practice you may also need to connect some resistors up to the other pins to tell devices (notably Apple devices) how much current the port can supply.

Steve....would this work?

a0hwll.png

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Not sure what that diagram is showing. You have AC Power with positive and negative terminals. You have an unidentified coil, an undefind thing labelled "no", a PID (what is it?) and an AC adapter running from DC.

On second thoughts, the AC adapter is shown connected directly to the AC, so assuming it is AC, and assuming it is the correct voltage, the adapter should work. I can't comment on the rest of it though.

StevenTheSloth

Nov 22, 2014
Not sure what that diagram is showing. You have AC Power with positive and negative terminals. You have an unidentified coil, an undefind thing labelled "no", a PID (what is it?) and an AC adapter running from DC.

On second thoughts, the AC adapter is shown connected directly to the AC, so assuming it is AC, and assuming it is the correct voltage, the adapter should work. I can't comment on the rest of it though.

Aghh yes, let me elaborate a bit. So this unit is an electronic nail unit meaning its output it to a thermocouple heating coil which produces heat. A PID is a temperature controller. The part that says "no" is for the on/off switch. "no" stands for normally open. This is the switch: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_32&products_id=308

Thanks for your feedback...its hard even for me to explain and I build the things lol.

Red wires are hot terminals and blue wires are neutral.