Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I think I fried my sprinkler timer

Msmithsjc

May 4, 2010
I recently rewired my sprinkler wires to the solenoid valves, as my dog had chewed them all up, and a few weeks later one of the stations stopped working. So I went to check it out and saw that one of the wire nuts had fallen off, it looked like the bundle of white common wires so I added what looked like the loose common wire to the rest of the bunch and put the wire nut back on. I then noticed that there were two wire nuts missing, one to the common wire bundle and one from the hot station wire. So I accidentally placed one of the hot station wires with the common wires, and my timer display screen is now blank. The inside of the timer box smells like burned electronics, so something got fried but I can't tell what.

Would replacing the transformer fix my problem or do I have to replace the whole timer?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you have a multimeter, measure the output of the transformer. If you are *really* lucky, you may have just killed the transformer, however I'd be prepared for worse news.

If there is no voltage at the output of the transformer (I'm assuming it's a wall wart of some type), then you can try replacing it with a similar unit (same voltage, similar or higher current rating) and see if the controller shows signs of life.