Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I think I am a Technolic.

Yaqui

Feb 18, 2016
You know I have never thought of myself as dependent on anything other than myself. That is not the case as of late though. I find myself being dependent on electronics more than just myself. it has gotten to the point where it has been effecting by job in a negative way. I have to have my cellphone with me at all times and every little notification I receive it feels I have to check. The problem is I have too much going on in my head. every little question or thought is so easy too access on the net. No need for a computer nowadays all you need is a smartphone. it is too the point where I almost wish it was the 90s again just to kick my addiction of constantly being plugged in.

Anyone else feel this way?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I can relate. I postponed buying a smart phone for years to avoid becoming one of those idiots looking down at their phone all the time. The wife's pleading eventually broke me down, and we updated our Smithsonian clamshell phones.
Sad to say, I'm now another zomby staring down to that lovely hypnotic blue light.

There are a few lines that I still won't cross;
Phone/text while driving (except hands free calls) or any face to face meeting with someone. That's just rude.

I miss the good old days when you got home and said "Honey, I'm home" and proceeded to talk about your day. Because you had little or no communication all day.

Last edited:

Yaqui

Feb 18, 2016
I don't text while driving either. I think of it as a matter of life and death where risking it is not only putting my own life on the line but the people around me also. I try not to be on my cell when at friends homes or while getting a bite to eat with friends but believe it or not it is a lot harder to say you won't use your phone than it is to actually not use your phone. Especially when there are so many ways to use your phone nowadays. put it this way when I am at work I am on the phone when I am not supposed to, at home I am on the computer with the cell phone at times along side. when not on the computer I am on a game console which has internet access. Yeah my life is beginning to feel like I am in need of one of those sessions where I am like "I am Yaqui and I am a Techonlic. First time here and even now I have my companion in my pocket." While it vibrates and I take it out to see the message.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Thank you for sharing Yaqui. You are certainly not alone.
The dichotomy of Technology is that it was invented to simplify and make our lives easier. In reality it complicates it when we become enslaved to it.

They say it takes 3 weeks for something to become a habit. You could make it a point to only check your email once a day or checking up on your favorite forum (EP of course) at a certain time of day. If you can do that for 3 weeks, it should be easy after that.

The thing we need to remember is the world wont end because we neglected to catch up on Facebook or whatever.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm going to Africa for a couple of weeks in 2 months time for that time, its pretty much going to be devoid of social media and any sort of technology
going to be a bit of a shock to the system haha ....

I may yet take the laptop, maybe when we finally get to Cape Town, I will have WiFi in the hotel ??

Dave

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Haha, I am not sure who's worse. The OP or Dave for thinking ahead about internet access!
I have two examples of funny ways that technology can let you down!!
Keeping them very short:
My sister had a party and didn't want my terabytes of organized music. She said that her wifi speakers and Spotify will be perfect....Well....An hour in and the router died.....I laughed my head off:p
All was not lost though as I connected my iphone to the AUX on their hi-fi system and saved the day..Something my brother in-law should have known but didn't...

My wife and I were so fed up with our teenage boys grunting while staring at their phones. So we went to restaurant and grunted like pigs at each other...They kept asking what we were doing....So we got our phones out and commenced messaging them about the menu! We spent the whole evening communicating via phone. It was hilarious, we even got the waiter to text them :cool: and ask if they want salt, pepper or sauce! The boys got the message and put their phones down now when somebody talks to them...
Technology is fantastic!

Martin

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
I hate smartphones. I mean, there handy but i wish people would just talk to each other.
Social media is a blessing but mostly a curse.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
I'm the complete opposite lol

In the 90's i wished for technology we have now :)