Connect with us

i need some help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ogulergun, May 6, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ogulergun

ogulergun

May 6, 2013
    hello !

i have an old ups witch i want to charge using my solar panel.
    my question is, is it possible to run it via 12v solar panel ?

i can open it and charge its battery via my panel but i don't wanna do it all the time.

i don't have a battery charge controller. is it possible to somehow connect solar panel via its 220v in and let it charge the battery and operate like when its plugged to wall socket.

thank you very much for your answers !

2. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    first things first, what is a "ups witch"? or is that just a typing error and i can't figure out what it should be?

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    UPS ( Uninterruptible Power Supply) witch = switch

Dave

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Or "UPS which", or perhaps an exponent of Wicca who cannot be stopped.

5. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    hey ogulergun. aside from the witch debate I will help you out.
    for starters NO you cannot hook up a 12volt panel to a 220v line and expect it to do anything. it requires 220v AC. so for starters it will not have enough juice and its not AC.
    what you can do though is depending on the battery size you can hook the solar panels to the battery itself. but you will have to find out if the internal battery is 12volt first. or you can get rid of the UPS and run a makeshift UPS which will cost a lot more to build but runs better. simply buy your panels a 12volt battery an inverter, and for extra fun a wall powered battery charger something that can charge the battery at a rate faster than the computer can draw the power. the benefit of this is at no time is there a "switchover time. at all times the battery will power the inverter giving the computer power, and either the solar or mains will keep the battery charged for a while.
    hope this helps. and can you please tell us what witch means to save further debate?

Ask a Question