Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need a lead.

Timbear3

May 23, 2012
I have a car that uses a led information display to communicate to the driver the maintenance condition of the car and other issues. It is very important to have it working well! Now, the problem here is that in the mornings this display works OK but as the day advances and the car gets hot the displays start getting dim by a second till it goes blank. My question is: Could the display by itself be defective or it’s circuit? This led display has a Mylar connection ribbon to its circuit and the circuit has 3 electrolytic capacitors among other components. The car is 10 years old. Any help will be great appreciated. Thank you in advance.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Replace the electrolytics and see how it goes. Be sure the new capacitors are a quality brand and have a 105°C temperature rating.

Last edited:

Timbear3

May 23, 2012
Thank you. I always suspected the electrolytics because they goes dry with time and heat. I'll report if all went well. Thanks again.

Wabajig

Apr 14, 2012
I would also check for cold solder joints, and if you have an ESR meter check the caps with that. It seems like we were just talking about something similar on another vehicle, maybe someone can help with that. Hope you fix it in time.

Timbear3

May 23, 2012
Thanks, I'll do that also. Is good to know that some had the same problem and probably fix it. Thanks.

Timbear3

May 23, 2012
:)I did change the caps with no luck! Then, I went and order a new display from Hungary cost me about $74.00 but its the only solution that I found. Its working perfect as new car now. I appreciate the help you gave me and I learned a lot from that. Thanks again.