Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I made a 4cmx4cm 33 microfarad capacitor!

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Thats right 33 microfarads, and I got it to pulse an led for proof!

I made it with copper tape, putting down some glue stick, then put a lining of glycerine down. It would be better without the glue, but the glycerine beads against the metal so it doesnt make a good enough separation.

Getting it thinner than a rizla paper makes the difference.

I always thought u needed to make an electrolytic cap to get it thin enough, but it actually isnt true - liquid separation is as thin as it!

I had to muck around with it a bit, but it did pulse the led after I got the multimeter reading.
I actually dont know for sure what the farad rating is exactly, because I have to do it again neater and more organized, but theres definitely alot of power there.

But... the funny thing is I started getting a bad taste in my mouth, cause I think the glue stick reacted with the glycerine and made something noxious, so I had to get it all out of the kitchen away from the food and get my fingers the hell away from my eye balls.

With a rating like that, I could make it 50 micrometres squared and still get quarter of a picofarad! So I could even make a ram chip out of it, and maybe over 10cm^2 get half a megabit, and the caps for each bit have a quarter of a picofarad to keep the bits.

Last edited:

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I tried to do another demo to show u guys, and it was blipping again, and it measured even more. But its just falling apart in my hands, and the blip wasnt showing through the camera so I gave up... I need to rethink the way im going to make something a little more permanent, then ill be back here with it! its only a small capacitor but I had a long track history of not being able to make anything at all, because I didnt even own a multimeter to begin with. Getting the reading before you try it on an led is so much easier...

But if you ask me from now on, capacitors are pretty easy to make, much easier than a transistor.

So now I can make resistors and capacitors from scratch, a non-substantial step for mankind, big leap for little ol' me. :)