Connect with us

I have a broken linear encoder that I want to repair...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Dan Boy, Jun 12, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Thanks Dan. When you have time can you take a picture of the other side of the PCB?
    Adam

2. Dan Boy

Dan Boy

Jun 12, 2015
    Ill do it now.

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Normally you would the optical reading would straddle both sides of the glass scale, one side being the TX LED's the other the P.C. receivers.
    The problem with working on these is to get the alignment exactly right, the two sine/cos signals have to be exactly at 90°.
    M.

4. Dan Boy

Dan Boy

Jun 12, 2015
    Thanks for the reply M but I would really like some advice on how to repair this if that's possible.

Thanks Dan.

5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I think the best you could do is clean it thoroughly and check as many identified components as possible, replacing the photo det parts is going to be hit and miss as the components do not usually have any number on them.
    Also you will need a double beam scope to do any kind of alignment.
    If you have a scope, you could locate the photocel side and with the head mounted temporarily check the outputs for a sine wave when move slowly along the scale.
    M.

6. Dan Boy

Dan Boy

Jun 12, 2015
    So can it not be repaired?

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I didn't say that, just that apart from any fairly obvious problems, without the proper equipment and the ability to identify particular parts, it can often be a lost cause.
    Most look for spare scales on ebay etc.
    M.

davenn likes this.
  8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    unled an obvious fault, no, not likely

Ask a Question