Maker Pro
Maker Pro

i give up.. lm317 + 2n2222

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
All text, can't draw a schematic where I am right now.

Without an opamp, differential pair, or some other zero-headroom (zero as in way less than Vbe) gain device, a constant current regulator has limitations. When using a transistor's Vbe as both the reference voltage and the setpoint, first to go is the idea of regulating down to zero or very low output current. For example, if you use the standard 2-transistor CC circuit, you can put a low power pot across the shunt resistor for the kind of adjustability I think the OP wants. But the minimum regulated output current always will be Vbe / Rshunt. For example, a 6.5 ohm shunt would yield a minimum regulated output of 0.1 A, a 65 ohm shunt would yield a min reg output of 10 mA, etc. And while 10 mA is a nice min value for a low energy circuit, for the same circuit adjusted to 100 mA the shunt would have to have 6.5 V across it, which is a large headroom requirement for a relatively low output current.

In post #1 here:
http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/57232/need-high-dc-voltage-low-constant-current-diagram
the top right hand circuit is closest to what I'm describing. The 3K shunt resistor sets the minimum current, in this case only 200 microamps. Whatever the shunt is, if you bridge it with a higher-value pot and connect the wiper to the upper transistor's base, you now have an adjustable output current without all of the current going through the pot, which is the original question here.

Another way is to use a regulated voltage and a resistor to create a regulated current that drives a current mirror:
http://circuit-diagram.hqew.net/Current-sources-and-mirrors_14545.html
Circuits 6 and 7 will work for this thread. You can turn them from sinks to sources by changing to PNP's.

Commandeered a nurse's station, Quickie circuit, not tweaked for power levels, component selection, etc.; just a concept drawing with parts in my design library.

CurrentSource-1-c.gif

ak

Attachments

• CurrentSource-1-c.gif
    CurrentSource-1-c.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think I can arguably claim the we are the friendliest tech forum on the face of this earth. Many of us have become friends separated by geography.
I honestly couldn't agree with you more CDRIVE...Oops, I mean Chris.

Martaine2005

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Yeah I agree otherwise others might think ak stands for absolute Knob. :D
That's funny but I've been trapped indoors with the Florida Monsoons, so I'm 3 sheets to the wind on Vino! I'm not sure if I'm dissing anyone.

Disclaimer: Uh... never mind. :confused: The skies have cleared! I'm outa here and going cycling! :)

Chris