Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I found a cheap and great way to get rid of Rosin off of a PCB.

wade7575

Jul 24, 2016
I started using AIM RMA Liquid Rosin flux and it works wonderfully and much better then the MG Chemicals straight Rosin flux but the only problem is trying to purchase a flux remover that is not toxic and that does not cost a small fortune.

So I went out looking at different stores and was not sure what to look for then I got looking in the paint section and they had some cleaners there and I found a few different products and look at them all and then I seen this stuff called Krud Kutter and on the back it claims to do many thing's and everything I have tried it on it works really really well but anyway getting back to why I'm creating this thread I looked at the bottle and it said it remove's tree sap and I thought that's all rosin is is pine sap so I took a bottle home.

I mix it 20 to 30% with water and you can re-use this stuff many times so you can save it in a empty bottle,I let the PCB soak for 5 to 20 minutes and spray a bit on straight if the rosin is really thick and let it sit on a preace of cardboard for 5 minutes then brush it a bit then let it soak in the water mixture and brush it again after it sit's for a bit longer like 5 to 20 minutes and then I rinse with water and then use a bit of dish soap and water and brush it lightly then rinse again and your done.

I talked to Rustoleum the makers of the product and asked if they thought it would hurt a PCB or have any negative effect's as I seen it contain's Potassium Hydroxide and looked it up on Wiki and it does not like Polystyrene Tin or Lead so I gave Rustoleum a call as they had a number to call in and I got to talk to a head chemist there and he said there is not enough Potassium Hydroxide to do any damage right away and when I told him what I was using it for he said he also like to do soldering projects and never even thought to try this stuff to remove flux.

The Chemist also told me using Krud Kutter could be compared to using a Acid core solder and acid flux for electronics it won't harm anything unless it's left on for 24 hours before being washed off,he said with Krud Kutter if it is just being soaked for 20 minutes no problem's at all and said it could be soaked for an 1 hour or longer as there is very very little
Potassium Hydroxide in this product and the wash it with soap is to neutralize the Potassium Hydroxide.

If I'm doing any project where a switch or LCD screen is to be soldered in place I clean the PCB first and go real light with the flux and solder them in last when the PCB is dry.

Also I found the MG Chemical's straight rosin flux to be more sticky then the AIM stuff and it still came off pretty easliy,I also find if your using a Bonkote flux pen you can fill yourself it only takes about 5 minutes and the brush is ready to be cleaned and is like new again.

Here is a link o the product and I have found it to be a very useful product and not toxic in anyway shape or form witch is what I like as I hate sucking in fumes from Acetone and it's not them smell I hate it's what it's doing to me is what I hate.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...aners-and-stain-removers/original-krud-kutter

wade7575

Jul 24, 2016
I have never tried or heard of that before how long does it take to work,the only problem I have with it is I don't like having to dispose of that kind of stuff,I'm not really a Tree huger kind of guy but I don't really want to contribute to screwing up the earth any more then it is.

I.ve always used a bit of mineral turpentine.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Compared to the amount one uses, you've probably contaminated the Earth 10 fold posting your comment.:confused:

wade7575

Jul 24, 2016
It's no more then most of the of the cleaners that are to clean PCB's plus the stuff they use that's mixed with water sometimes contain's toxic stuff in them.

Compared to the amount one uses, you've probably contaminated the Earth 10 fold posting your comment.:confused:

wade7575

Jul 24, 2016
Bluejets you can use it more then once how many times more then that I do not know,if you get as many use's out of it as you would with AIM's flux remover you'll get 50 use's out it,I have not used the Krud Kutter enough to know for sure how many use's I'll get out of it but it is more then one use from it,I have 10 use's on the batch I mixed and it's still working as fast as the when I first mixed it up.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I think when somebody is used to using chemicals that work for them, we're unused to trying new stuff.
My problem is that all the chemicals I found the most useful, eventually are found by some government agency
to be hazardous for any one of multiple reasons, and then become prohibited substances. I am annoyed that
the approved commercial contact cleaners I can buy now, are pretty-much useless for contact cleaning.
When this happens I'm forced to try new stuff in my search for effective chemicals for my application.
I tried Wade7575's Krud Kutter and it did work for me, so that's one more chemical to add to my arsenal
(until the EPA outlaws that one too, I guess).

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
IPA Isopropyl alcohol is the stuff to use. I have done so for many years. Undiluted car screen wash is usually IPA sometimes with a bit of detergent in it.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Acetone (nail-polish remover) works too, but I found that PCB then needs a bath/scrub with a hot water & dishwasher solution, otherwise it leaves a whitish film which hampers future soldering.
Maybe the evaporated acetone itself, or the resin just gets diluted on the board.