Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I discovered hidden audio device in carbon monoxide detector

aaronized83

Nov 27, 2011
Long story short, I noticed this detector was always weird feeling, like it was loose or something.
I rent a house from a family member so im not the property owner. I decided to take a close look at this detector and realized it wasn't completely closed.
Having vocational training in electronics, I have knowledge in circuitry and soldering. Well, i took this thing apart slowly and when I got to bare circuit, its clear to see it has been modified. Anyone with soldering experience knows the difference between a solder job by a machine or by man. This thing has been modified by man. Theres burns and dull colored blobs.
MY QUESTION IS....how the heck do I go about proving that this was modified. I mean I assume if i sent this in to the manufacturer for investigating, they should tell me this is not theirs? Or shoudl Itake it up with a electrician?
If somebody did in fact swap out components, should the identification numbers on the stickers show something?
Thank you for the responses.

aaronized83

Nov 27, 2011
OH and this detector was manufactored in 09 so i know that the "after 7 years this will chirp every 30 seconds" doesn't not apply

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
What is your point in proving that it has been modified? You make a lot of assumptions, at first glance of the title I thought you where gonna say someone was spying on you. Sometimes manufactures have certain parts still manually soldered, that may be what you are seeing and has nothing to do with someone trying to maliciously change your CO detector to something it shouldn't be.

If it is that much of a concern. Pull the battery shut it up and install your own brand new CO detector in an outlet of your choice. You certainly shouldn't get any complaints from the property owner for improving the property. If you think the detector is faulty and needs replacing then talk to your property owner and ask them to spend the $30 bucks to fix the issue if you have a problem buying it yourself.

Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
What jacko said, but if you want to know what's there you could always shoot a pic' or two of the PCB and post here for us to analyze.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's also not completely unusual to have some components hand soldered -- especially for devices manufactured where labour is very cheap.